“Give thanks to the Lord for He is good: His love endures forever! ~1 Chronicles 16:34
We hope that all our St. Timothy families are enjoying a fabulous Thanksgiving!
A special thank you to Mrs. Doma’s Grade 8 class for leading us in prayer for our Thanksgiving Liturgy, this past week. We look forward to more student-led liturgies in future! A gentle reminder that there is no school for students on Monday October 11, which is the official Thanksgiving Holiday.
K-8 MindUp Program begins this week!
All of our classes from Kindergarten to Grade 8 will be taking part in a Board-wide initiative to embed a social-emotional learning and mindfulness program called MindUP ™, in all classrooms during this school year. MindUP ™ is an evidence-based curriculum that fosters mindful awareness and self-regulation, enhances empathy, optimism and well-being, and promotes kindness and positive relationships. (see https://mindup.org/). A special thank you to Mrs. Cadet, our Child & Youth Counselor (CYC) for her support in implementing these lessons.
Picture Day is coming up!
Please note that October 19th has been slated as our school’s Picture Day. Individual photos will be taken for all of our staff and students. Please rest assured that LifeTouch has confirmed that they have a vaccination disclosure policy in place and have advised that the photographers scheduled for school photo days will be able to provide Administrators with validation of their vaccination status. As with any visitor to the school, photographers are required to complete the Visitor protocols in the HCDSB Return to School Plan. In addition, Principals or Vice-Principals are required to confirm the vaccination status of the photographer(s) scheduled for the day.
Hot Lunches are Starting Again: Volunteers needed!
We will be finalizing details regarding our hot lunch program this week and preparing step-by-step ordering information for our families. Our goal will be to start with Pizza lunches and expand gradually to include other options. More information is forthcoming for placing / purchasing food orders. A special thank you to our Catholic School Council for reviewing and comparing a variety of options.
We will need some support from volunteers to deliver pizza to classes. Volunteers must be double vaccinated OR must show a negative COVID test within 48 hours (at parent cost), before entering the building.
If you are interested in volunteering from 12:00 – 1:10 on Thursdays and have a Police Check with Vulnerable Sector on file, please reach out to Mrs. Davoren (firstname.lastname@example.org) by Thursday, October 14th, so that we can begin to develop a running list of Volunteers. Kindly complete the Volunteer Criminal Offence Declaration Form attached here:
Should you need a print copy sent home, please let us know and we will be happy to prepare that for you. Once completed, kindly send us the print copy through your child’s Agenda, OR scan and send via e-mail (email@example.com)
If you do not yet have a Police Check with Vulnerable Sector Screening on file, consider beginning that process. We remain hopeful that at some point in the year, we will be able to participate in trips and other activities that will require the participation of volunteers. Let’s be ready!
Intramurals beginning at St. Timothy!
We are pleased to re-launch extra-curricular activities taking a measured, staggered approach, following the guidance from our Board Return to School Plan, which is informed by Public Health. This week, we will begin with Intermediate Volleyball, organized by cohort. To start the program, we will focus on skill-building activities. Our goal is to prepare for possible inter-school sport opportunities which may be permitted at some point this year. Participating students will be required to present a completed Intramural Permission form which will be distributed to students in class.
Measures for intramural sport activities will follow requirements in the health and physical education section for schools, such as:
- High and low contact activities are permitted indoors
- Masking is encouraged for indoor sports where they can be worn safely
- Students will practice hand hygiene before and after activities
- Staff/Coaches will maintain PPE requirements indoors
- No spectators (students, staff, families and volunteers) permitted for indoor sports, until further notice
A special shout out to Mr. Rogers and Mrs. Orrico, for volunteering to support the launch of our Intramural Volleyball.
St. Timothy Tips:
Promoting Well-Being: 10 Growth Mindset Questions to ask your child at dinner table
- What did you do today that made you think hard?
- What challenge or problem have you worked on today?
- Can you think of something new you tired today? What was it?
- Was there anything that made you feel stuck today? … Great! What other ways might there be to solve this?
- What did you learn today outside of school?
- Can you think of a mistake you made today? … Great! How can you use this mistake to do better next time?
- Is there anything you are struggling with? … Excellent! What new strategies can you try next?
- Can you think of something you could have done better today? … Great! Who can you seek feedback from to make it better?
- What would you like to become better at?
- Did you do anything today that was easy for you? … How can you make it more challenging for you?
We continue to draw on our faith and offer prayers for the safety and well-being of those who are sick, and those who are working on the frontlines to care for them.
Anna Marie Toltl/ Susan Jack
Twitter:Please follow us @StTimothyHCDSB!