Dear Parents and Guardians,
We are excited to welcome our students and staff back to in person learning at St. Scholastica! Thank you to all for your hard work during remote learning!
Please refer to the information updates below:
SCHOOLS WILL RE-OPEN FOR IN-PERSON LEARNING FOR ALL STUDENTS ON MONDAY, JANUARY 17TH
The Minister of Education confirmed that Ontario schools will re-open for in-person learning for all students on Monday, January 17th.
While we are still awaiting additional information and direction from the Ministry, here are some of the details that have been shared so far:
- All Ontario school boards will be receiving three-ply cloth masks for students. Students may choose to wear the three-ply cloth masks, or their own masks.
- Our school board has already received and distributed non-fit tested N95 masks for use by school staff.
- The Ontario government has updated screening requirements through their School Screening Tool for students and staff.
- There are significant changes to the new school screening tool that apply to symptomatic individuals and their household members. Please continue to be vigilant in monitoring for symptoms and completing the COVID-19 School Screening Tool each day.
- As was done at the start of this school year, students attending in-person instruction will be required to show daily proof of confirmation of screening. This measure will be in place until further notice using the method your child’s teacher has communicated to you. If daily confirmation of screening is not completed for this first two-week period, parents will be contacted to complete the screening or pick up their child(ren) from school.
Please note that if a student or staff member does not pass the daily COVID-19 screening, they cannot come to school. Families must follow the instructions provided on the daily self-screening tool and report their absence to the school.
Rapid Antigen Test Kits & 3 Ply Masks
HCDSB has received Rapid Antigen Test kits from the Ontario Provincial Government and your child(ren) will come home with 2 Rapid Antigen Tests on Monday. They will also come home Monday with 3 ply cloth masks (2 per child).
Measures to Avoid Further School Closures
School boards have also been directed to consider a number of steps to avoid and minimize school closures, in recognition of anticipated increases in absences.
This may include:
- combining classes and assigning students to different classes to ensure adequate supervision;
- introducing rotating, planned remote learning days, if needed.
HCDSB will make every effort to keep schools open for in-person learning, but we recognize there may be occasions when individual classes or schools may need to move to remote learning for a period of time. Schools will notify parents and guardians as soon as possible if and when a class or school needs to close.
Updates and Additional Information
Updates will be shared via email, on the HCDSB website and through social media channels:
RETURNING BORROWED DEVICES TO ST. SCHOLASTICA
If your child borrowed a school device to assist them with access to remote learning, these devices are due back for return no later than 4:00 pm on Wednesday, January 19th. You can return your device and its matching power cord to the school the following ways:
ALL DEVICES MUST BE RETURNED BY 4:00 PM ON WEDNESDAY
As St. Scholastica loaned out over 230 devices during this period of remote learning, prompt return is most appreciated. Thank you in advance for your co-operation!
CHANGE TO LEARNING ENVIRONMENT FOR ELEMENTARY STUDENTS
The online form to request a change to your child’s learning environment (i.e. virtual or in-person) is now closed.
Any requested changes will come into effect on January 24, 2022.
For parents who have decided to keep their child/ren to the in-person-learning environment at this stage of the pandemic, however, would like to choose to stay home for an additional 2-3 weeks, the parent is still required to report their child/ren absence daily through School Messenger. During this time, tasks (Reading, Writing, and Math), similar to a While you were away folder, may be available as students will continue to have access to their class D2L shell. There will be also links to the TVO and Ontario Science Centre site for grade-specific learning experiences. Students may submit their tasks to their teacher.
ST. SCHOLASTICA CATHOLIC SCHOOL COUNCIL
Our Catholic School Council will meet on Monday, January 17th using Microsoft Teams at 7:00 p.m. Please email Mr. Cochrane (email@example.com) if you are not a council member and are interested in attending the meeting.
KIDSSENTIALS / PIZZA RESUMES
Kidssentials will resume this Wednesday. They have credited the accounts for those who had ordered for the first 2 weeks of the new year. If you have any questions about your order, please reach out to the Kidssentials office directly at (905) 855-1914.
Session 2 of Pizza will begin this Thursday for those who have ordered. Session 2 will continue to be 10 weeks in duration and the last date for Session 2 will be March 31st.
ONLINE KINDERGARTEN REGISTRATION
Click here to visit the Kindergarten Registration page at the HCDSB website.
Part 1 – Online Registration
- Online registration is available as the first step of the registration process.
- Once signed in, parents will need to fill out an online registration form for their child.
Part 2 – Complete Registration Online or In-Person
Parents can upload the required documents directly through the online registration portal.
Parents and guardians who have not already uploaded their required documents in the online registration portal are encouraged to make an appointment to visit their school on January 25 or 26, 2022 to complete the registration process.
What do I Need to Register my Child?
To complete part 2 of the registration process, parents must bring the following documents to their home school (required documents):
- Birth Certificate (required for Year 1 and Year 2)
- Year 1 children are required to be 4 years of age on or before December 31, 2022.
- Year 2 children (new to the school) are required to be 5 years of age on or before December 31, 2022.
- Roman or Eastern Rite Catholic baptismal certificate. If your child has no Roman/Eastern Rite Catholic baptismal certificate, your child may be admitted if one parent can provide a Roman/Eastern Rite Catholic baptismal certificate. Please refer to the Board’s Operating Policy I-22 for more information.
- Proof of address
Please note: Children currently registered in the Year 1 Kindergarten program are not required to register for the Year 2 program. Placement in the Year 2 program will be processed by the school, unless otherwise stated.
For more information on HCDSB’s Kindergarten program and the advanced registration process, please visit: http://bit.ly/Kindergarten-Program
GR. 1 FRENCH IMMERSION PROGRAM – REGISTRATION OPENS JANUARY 19TH
The online registration form will be available on Wednesday, January 19, 2022 until Friday, February 18, 2022.
Important Notes About Registering Your Child
- This program is offered regionally, at select schools only. Please choose the designated Grade 1 French Immersion school in the online registration form based on your current home school (feeder school). View the designated French Immersion school sites for 2022-23.
- The optional French Immersion Program has expanded so space in the program is no longer determined through a random selection (lottery) process.
- Only one registration per child will be accepted and included in the registration portal. All duplicate registrations will be CANCELLED.
Visit the Board’s website for more information on the French Immersion Program.
HCDSB FAMILY PAINT NIGHT: “LITTLE SPIRIT MOON”
The next painting session with Indigenous Artist Moses Lunham will take place on Tuesday, January 18th from 6:00-8:00 p.m. Click here for more information. This is a wonderful way to come together in community and learn more about Indigenous art!
MCRC “SHE CAN!” PROGRAM FOR GIRLS
MCRC’s She Can! programs are girl centered, designed to empower and uplift girls. These programs foster strength, leadership and resilience through hands on activities and thought-provoking discussions.
Please find below a link to many She Can programs that families can register their girls for directly. These programs take place after school and focus on self-esteem, leadership, confidence and healthy relationship.
Registration and more info can be found here: https://mcrc.on.ca/shecan/
ST. BENEDICT PARISH CHILDREN’S LITURGY
Click below for this week’s Children’s Liturgy link from St. Benedict Parish.
Yours in Partnership,
Mrs. E. Sweeney-Hurd – Principal
Mr. D. Cochrane– Vice Principal