Lord, reawaken in us a sense of praise and gratitude for our Earth, and for everything You have created. ~Pope Francis
Thank you to all our families who continue to support the ‘Front Porch Clap’ in support of our essential workers! Please remember to show your support each Friday evening at 7:00pm. Together let’s make some noise and show our appreciation for the hard work and dedication.
Thank you to all families that signed up for St. Peter CES Curbside Pick-Up & Drop-Off as per the school messenger email this week.
Thank you to all of our families for supporting and working with our staff members to educate your children throughout the school closure period. We appreciate the many positive comments and feedback that we have received from you along the way. Please note that distance learning will end on Friday, June 26th, 2020 – this is our last day of school for the 2019 – 2020 school year.
REACH AHEAD CREDITS AVAILABLE FOR GRADE 8 STUDENTS
- Grade 8 students registered at an HCDSB secondary school for September 2020 may earn Grade 9 credits online during the summer
- To apply, please see the information at the link here: https://merton.hcdsb.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/Reach-Ahead-HCDSB-SUMMER-SCHOOL-INFORMATION.pdf
- The registration deadline is Wednesday, June 24th, 2020 @ 4:00pm
RETRIEVAL OF STUDENTS’ BELONGINGS
The retrieval of student belongings (including items in the class, lockers, and student medicine) and the return of school items (technology on loan, athletic uniforms, textbooks and library books) will take place from Thursday, June 18th through Wednesday, June 25th, 2020 as outlined in the parent communication last week.. Confirmation emails will be sent out this week with your date/time and the appropriate protocols for pick-up/drop-off.
STARR POLLINATOR GARDEN
We are searching for families that would be willing to maintain the ‘Starr Pollinator Garden’ throughout the summer months once again. Thank you to the Haig Family who has been doing a wonderful job caring for the garden over the last several weeks! If you are interested in sponsoring the garden for a week or two, please email Ms. D. McLaren at McLarenD@hcdsb.org as we are setting up a maintenance schedule before the school year ends.
SPIRIT DAY – HAT & TIE DAY: FRIDAY, JUNE 19th, 2020
Father’s Day is an annual celebration intended to honour and recognize our Fathers for all they do to support us throughout the year! There are many ways to celebrate this day – you can make a nice drawing, write a nice message in a handmade card, cook them their favourite meal or even prepare a special surprise!
This year, we encourage all of our St. Peter CES staff members and students to wear their favourite hats and/or ties to recognize their Fathers! Don’t forget to share your photographs with us on tweeter @stpetersmilton.
NATIONAL INDIGENIOUS HISTORY MONTH
In June, we celebrate National Indigenous History Month to honour the history, heritage and diversity of Indigenous peoples in Canada. On June 21st, 2020 we celebrate the heritage, diverse cultures and outstanding achievements of First Nations, Inuit and Métis! To learn more about indigenous History visit https://www.rcaanc-cirnac.gc.ca/eng/1466616436543/1534874922512
SHARE YOUR FEEDBACK – ONTARIO’S FRAMEWORK FOR CONTINUED LEARNING
The Ministry of Education has released Ontario’s Framework for Continued Learning. Parents and guardians are invited to review this document, and provide feedback through a written submission by email to: EDUconsultation@ontario.ca.
Make sure to:
- Include your name, and the name of our school board (Halton Catholic District School Board)
- Use “Ontario’s Plan to Reopen Schools” in the subject line
- Attach your submission as a PDF or Word document
COURTESY SEATS ON SCHOOL BUSES FOR THE 2020 – 2021 SCHOOL YEAR
Families with children who take the bus to school are advised that the application process for receiving courtesy seats on school buses will be delayed for the 2020 – 2021 school year. Due to physical distancing measures in place to prevent the spread of COVID-19, it may not be possible to grant courtesy seats and/or the process may be delayed for the next school year. With that being said, parents/guardians can continue to submit a Courtesy Seat Application, and will be notified via email once a decision on this process has been made.
Please note that there is no guarantee that a courtesy seat will be offered if you submit an application, or if your child had a courtesy seat in the past. Visit the Halton Student Transportation Services website for more information: www.haltonbus.ca
You can now purchase your 2019-2020 school yearbook through School Cash Online. The cost for a yearbook is $25. Yearbooks are expected to arrive in early September.
Are you planning on moving before the end of this school year or in the summer time? If yes, please email Mr. T. Demeris or Mrs. E. Champoux to let us know so that we can update our information and prepare for September 2020.
ST. PETER CES TIPS
Physical activity has a range of benefits for your child including improved movement skills, stronger bones and greater concentration at school. Children and youth aged 5 to 17 years should do 60 minutes of moderate-to-vigorous activity every day. They should also do activities to strengthen their muscles and bones at least three times a week. Helpful activities include playing tag, biking, rollerblading, gymnastics, soccer, swimming or hockey. For more information visit https://www.aboutkidshealth.ca/Article?contentid=642&language=English
ISW JUNE SALE – Save 10% on your entire purchase
Returning Students – Log into your account to shop for your uniform. Our new chat window lets you connect with one of your uniform experts while you shop!
New Students have ‘3 WAYS TO SHOP’ now:
- IN-STORE APPOINTMENT – New families are welcome to book an in-store one-on-one appointment with one of our uniform experts.
- VIRTUAL APPOINTMENT – New families are welcome to book an appointment from home via video chat with one of our uniform experts.
- ONLINE LIVE CHAT – Our new chat window lets you connect with one of our uniform experts while you shop. ~ https://www.iswuniforms.com/
PROMOTING WELL-BEING: ROCK – Reach Out Centre for Kids
- ROCK has put together some resources and suggestions to help support children, youth, and families at this time of uncertainty. They will be updating them regularly, so please check back for new content. To access them, please click here for the Resources for Families Guide, and click for Part 1 and Part 2 of the Resources Kit for Families, ages 0 – 6 year(s)
- ROCK is fully supporting the Province of Ontario’s plan to prevent the spread of COVID-19 and is following protocol to practice social distancing. In order to ensure your own health and safety, all in-person programming and walk-ins will be suspended until further notice
- They remain available to our clients via phone support, email and the implementation of innovative services to support their program offerings for the duration of the provincial school closure
- ROCK is dedicated to supporting families during this difficult time. They are committed to live answering phone calls from the hours of 9:00am – 5:00pm each business day. Families will have the ability to speak directly to a ROCK staff person who is available to answer questions.They have also created the opportunity to connect families to a pathway coordinator staff who will assess and support connection to brief virtual consultation services.
If you are in crisis, contact our 24/7 ROCK Crisis Line at 905-878-9785. For all other queries related to services, call the Live Answer Access Line at 289-266-0036 between 9 – 5 p.m. each business day. Messages cannot be left on this number. ~https://rockonline.ca/
Follow us on Twitter @ stpetersmilton and share your #TogetherApartHCDSB happenings!
Have a great week everyone from the staff members at St. Peter CES!