Good afternoon St. Nicholas Families,
A few important reminders are listed below:
St. Nicholas Parking Lot/Kiss N Ride – Reminders
- There should be absolutely no parking along any median. Pylons have been strategically placed – traffic should be able to move freely in the parking lot. In the event of an emergency – all emergency vehicles need to be able to access the back of the school immediately.
- Kiss n Ride lane – please pull up as far as possible this helps ease congestion entering the lot – spaces do free up at the end of the day especially as our kindergarten students are dismissed. Please use all available parking spaces.
- Continue to plan your arrival accordingly and be patient.
- Kinoak Arena – We now have an agreement with the Town of Oakville that allows our families to park at Kinoak Arena and walk to St. Nicholas between 8:35-8:55 am and 3:00-3:35 pm. With the warm weather approaching this is a wonderful opportunity for our school community to work together to ease congestion in our parking lot. We thank the Town of Oakville for their understanding and supporting St. Nicholas school.
Rock Your Socks – World Down Syndrome Day – Friday March 19th
Wear your LOUDEST, CRASIEST and most FUN pair of mismatched socks as a symbolic show of support for those living with DS in celebration of World Down Syndrome Day next Friday March 19th. We thank Mrs. Evangelista’ Grade 5 students for leading this important initiative at St. Nicholas. We look forward to many creative wonderful morning announcements next week including the door decorating activity planned for classes. Please visit our St. Nicholas twitter account next Friday for many bright and colourful photos from the days event!
St. Patrick’s Day – Wednesday, March 17th
Staff and students can add a touch of Green to their school uniform next Wednesday March 17th in recognition of St. Patrick’s Day!
As you may be aware, the Province of Ontario requires school boards to offer voluntary COVID-19 testing sites for asymptomatic staff and students. The first round of testing for St. Nicholas school will be available on Wednesday, March 17, 2021.
Who Can Be Tested?
- Testing is voluntary, and consent will be required from parents or guardians.
- Voluntary, targeted testing is offered only for HCDSB students and staff who are asymptomatic (i.e. not experiencing any COVID-19 symptoms).
- At this time, this testing is not being offered to family members, but if this option becomes available in the future, we will notify staff and families.
When and Where Will the Testing Take Place?
At HCDSB, the testing will be conducted using a Family of Schools ‘hub’ model, where the secondary school will be the testing site for each secondary school and the associated elementary schools. The schedule will rotate to each of our nine (9) secondary schools over the course of a 3-week period, providing a testing site in Burlington, Oakville, and North Halton (Milton and Halton Hills) for one day each week.
The first round of testing for the St. Thomas Aquinas Family of Schools will take place as follows:
Wednesday, March 17, 2021 – 2:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m. @ St. Thomas Aquinas Catholic Secondary School
124 Dorval Dr, Oakville, ON L6K 2W1
Booking an Appointment to Get Tested
Parents and guardians are encouraged to pre-register online at: my.thrive.health
In order to register, you will need to provide this unique registration code for your school: HaltonC-hubsite8
Participants are also able to walk-in to the location during the allocated testing time.
Please read the following letter from LifeLabs for additional information: COVID-19 testing in Ontario schools_LifeLabs – St. Thomas Aquinas FOS.pdf
Sleeping Children Around the World – St. Nicholas Lenten Project
Our St. Nicholas Lenten initiative, Sleeping Children Around the World continues until Easter. Bed Kits can be purchase via our Cash Online system, we have 81 bed kits sold to date – our school goal continues to be 100 bed kits. We thank all our families for supporting our project and helping us make a difference this Lenten season.
The Next Opportunity to Request a Change in Learning Environment
The third and final opportunity for parents and guardians to request a change in learning environment for their children will be offered between March 11 and March 18, 2021. The requested changes will take effect on Monday, March 29th, and will remain in effect for the duration of this school year. The link to the online form to request a change will be emailed to all parents and guardians on March 11, 2021.
Please follow us on Twitter @StNicholasHCDSB
Mr. Cacciola and Mrs. Spotswood