Wishing the St. Mary School Community, a blessed Thanksgiving weekend!
Thanksgiving Day – Oct. 12th
A reminder there is No School on Monday October 12th, it is the Thanksgiving Holiday.
When Should I Keep My Child Home?
Each morning, you must use the Daily School Screening Tool with your child(ren). You will be asked to monitor any of the following symptoms:
- Fever and/or chills
- New or worsening cough (not related to other known causes/conditions)
- Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing (not related to other known causes such as asthma)
- Sore throat
- Runny or stuffy nose (not related to other known causes such as seasonal allergies)
- Decrease or loss of sense of smell or taste
- Headache that’s unusual or long-lasting
- Nausea, vomiting and/or diarrhea
- Fatigue, lethargy, muscle aches or malaise (not related to other known causes such as insomnia, anemia)
As always, the health and safety of our students, staff and families is our highest priority, and we will continue to take direction from the Ministry of Education and Halton Region Public Health to ensure all protocols are in place and followed in our school.
Students are now able to put ONE book from the St. Mary Library on hold every week and Mrs. Shaver will deliver the book to their classroom. Please watch the following presentation that describes how to log in, search for a book and place a hold:
Note that the schedule for picking up library returns and delivering holds is as follows: every Tuesday for rooms 201 – 215; every Wednesday for rooms 101 – 112; every Thursday for portables 1 – 10. For now, as per HCDSB covid protocols, these school library books are to remain in the student’s classroom; they do not go back and forth to home every day.
School Council 2020-2021
On Monday, October 5 we held our first Catholic School Council meeting of the 2020-2021 school year. We are blessed with a group of very dedicated and hard-working council members to represent our parent community and act in the best interest of our entire school community! The following parents are members of this year’s Catholic School Council:
- Natalie Cambone – Co-Chair
- Jennifer Peer – Co-Chair
- Tamara Adamo – Parent Representative
- Haidy Attia – Parent Representative
- Alexandra Tarkowski Deniz- Parent Representative
- Laurie Dolland – Parent Representative
- Christian Howard – Parent Representative
- Kevin Kelley- Parent Representative
- Clare Mungai Kiplangat- Parent Representative
- Sam Khoury- Parent Representative
- Andres Masmela – Parent Representative
- Raj Nimako – Parent Representative
- Jennifer Palozzi- Parent Representative
- Alexandra Power – Parent Representative
- Ursula Terlecki – Parent Representative
- Ifeanyichukwu Uzoka – Parent Representative
- Melissa Whalen- Parent Representative
Our next virtual meeting will take place on November 2nd at 6:30 p.m. All are welcome. Please email Ms Dobbie for a link to the virtual meeting firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to attend.
Fundraising at St. Mary
St. Mary is a wonderful place to learn and grow. Teachers, administrators, and support staff work together to ensure the needs of each child are being met, with the goal of preparing students for a lifetime of personal fulfillment and contribution to society. To aid in fulfilling this goal, we rely on our major fundraiser, where 100% of your donation goes directly to programs and tools for your child. Continuing to make St. Mary one of the top elementary schools in the province is a priority for us.
Any donation amount is welcome! Even the smallest donation makes a difference, and all donation amounts are confidential.
As the focus of St. Mary Catholic School is on developing the whole child, your participation enables us to focus on two main objectives:
- Support initiatives that enhance our children’s education and increase school pride
- Teach our children the value of investing in their school community and in their future
In the past years, your generous donations have allowed the school to fund many school initiatives across all grade levels. Your support has enabled our school to purchase technology, physical education equipment, materials for clubs, and other school initiatives. This year’s fundraiser will focus on purchasing technology for the school (for example: IPads, Laptops, Smartboards), and Virtual Assemblies for our students that will focus on well-being and new educational experiences or needs that may arise during this uncertain year.
Donating is easy! Simply login to your School Cash Online Account:
- At the top right-hand corner, click on “Make a Donation”
- Under “Fund Destination” please ensure you select St. Mary
- A tax receipt will be emailed directly to you.
Donations made before October 30th, 2020 will allow us to plan activities for the school year however all donations will gladly be received throughout the year and the link will remain open. Thank you in advance for your contribution!
St. Mary Tips
With the world as unpredictable as it has been – let us be reminded of what our children need more of….
- Unstructured play
- Freedom to explore
- Play time with parents
- Belief in their goodness
- A calm environment
- A shoulder to cry on
- Expressed gratitude for who they are
Thank you for your continued support and patience as we work through these challenging times.
K. Dobbie & D. Comito