May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. ~Romans 15:13
There are three ways to report your child’s absence:
- Call toll-free 1-844-445-4505
- Report online at: go.schoolmessenger.ca
- Use the School Messanger app on your mobile phone.
A gentle reminder please do not call the school line to report a late or absence.
Hallowe’en Dance-A-Thon Fundraiser
Our students will be participating in our annual Dance-a-thon Fundraiser on Thursday October 31st. Our goal is to raise $23,000 which is approximately $30 per student. This is our school’s only major fundraiser for this year, and all funds will be used to support school goals in service of your children such as:
- additional technology equipment, such as SMARTboards, iPads, and laptops
- curriculum resources
- innovation projects
- outdoor play equipment
- support for liturgical celebrations
- faith initiatives
- special events, such as Family Math Night and Starlight Festival
- cultural presentations for the students
For more information, please read the attached letter and pledge form that went home with each student at the beginning of the month. To make a donation to St. Mary School, please either scroll to the bottom of our homepage and click on the “Make a Donation” tab or click here for a quick link. Please be sure to specify “St. Mary” as your fund destination.
We thank you in advance for your generous support as we work together to reach our goal!
All students are encouraged to wear costumes. Students may decide not to wear a costume and are welcome to wear black and orange as an alternative or their school uniform.
Safe School Costume Considerations:
Costumes must NOT:
– Impair vision or breathing; no masks please;
– Present a trip hazard to the wearer or the bystander;
– Represent disfiguring injury or, to put it bluntly, “blood and guts”;
– Promote themes or activities inappropriate for a Catholic elementary school;
– Disrespect any culture, religion, race or gender;
– Be too revealing or suggestive;
– Include weapons or replica weapons;
– Require staff to apply or remove costume pieces and/or make-up;
– Allow the student easy, independent access to the washroom. This is especially important for students from Kindergarten to grade 2.
– Allow the student to wear sufficiently warm clothing over or under the costume as weather/temperature dictates for outdoor recess.
Parents are welcome to join us during their child’s scheduled time in the gymnasium- please sign into the school upon arrival.
- 9:00-9:25 a.m. – Kindergarten Rooms 108 & 109
- 9:25 -9:55 a.m. – Kindergarten Rooms 107 &110
- 9:55-10:25 a.m. – GRADE 1 & 2
- 10:45-11:15 a.m. – GRADE 3
- 11:15 – 11:45 a.m. – GRADE 4
- 1:00 -2:00 p.m. – GRADE 5 & 6
- 2:00 – 3:05 pm – GRADE 7 & 8
“Halloween is like our Mardi Gras before Lent. We should be able to laugh at the dark side and dress up in costumes and have parties. Let’s reclaim our heritage with all the story power, creativity and joyous good fun that we can. Let’s use it to help us become the saints we are each called to be” (Catholic Update, Oct. 1999).
French Immersion Online Registration Process
The online registration process for the 2020-2021 school year will take place in November, similar to the online registration timeline and process that took place last school year.
The online registration form will remain available for 2 weeks, beginning Monday, November 4, 2019 and ending on Friday, November 15, 2019.
The link to the online registration will be available on the home page of the Board’s website (www.hcdsb.org) during this time period.
Please note that you will require your child’s OEN to complete the online registration form.
Reminder: No Pets on School Property
Pets are not permitted on school grounds at any time with the exception of official service animals and handlers by prior arrangement with the Principal or Vice Principal. School grounds include all sidewalks around the school and playground spaces. We thank everyone for your cooperation in this regard.
School Council Meeting – Nov. 4th
We will have our next Council Meeting on Monday, November 4th in the library at 6:30 PM. All parents are welcome to attend these meetings.
Gr.7 Confirmation Meeting- Nov. 7
There will be Gr. 7 Confirmation Parent Meeting and Registration at St. Matthew Church on Thursday, November 7th at 7 pm.
Kids 4 Kids Leadership Program- Nov. 19
We are thrilled to offer the after-school Kids 4 Kids Leadership Program. This program will take place starting on Tuesday, Nov. 19 from 3:25 p.m.- 4:55 p.m. It will run for 5 consecutive weeks. The cost is $120 per child. This program teaches children leadership skills through cooperative games, hilarious stories, discussions and team building activities. This program is recommended for all Gr.1- 6 children. Please see the attached registration form for more details.
Parking Lot Safety
Everyone’s patience and co-operation are needed in the parking lot while dropping off and picking up your children. A reminder that the North Parking lot is a Kiss-and-Ride, while the South Parking lot is NOT a Kiss-and-Ride. When using the South Parking lot, caregivers are to park in the appropriate spaces, and come to the gate to pick up children. Once the parking spaces are filled, caregivers must find alternative parking and walk up to the school to retrieve children. Please do not block cars in or use the handicapped parking spaces illegally. Thank you to those who continue to use our parking lots properly by following the posted and painted signs and the suggestions from the school and for modelling Catholic Faith behaviour with regards to any incidences or concerns that may occur.
Please check our school calendar found on our school website for upcoming events: https://elem.hcdsb.org/stmary/
St. Mary Tips
Speak to your children as if they are the wisest, kindest, most beautiful and magical humans on earth, for what they believe is what they will become. ~ Brooke Hampton
K. Dobbie & D. Comito