“If you want peace, work for justice.”
Pope Paul XI
HCDSB COVID-19 Update:
On May 19th, the Ministry of Education announced that they are extending the school closure period for all schools in Ontario for the remainder of the 2019-2020 school year.
More information will come regarding:
- Report Cards – These will be distributed electronically details are forthcoming.
- Picking up personal belongings – Parents will be given a scheduled time to pick up student belongings and returning school items (i.e. technology, textbooks, library books, sports uniforms). Details will follow. This will occur during the school day from June 22-24.
Grade Eight Graduation
- Our Graduation will take place over two days. First with the Virtual Mass and Award Ceremony on Wednesday, June 24 which will include Graduation Liturgy / Award Virtual Prerecorded Video. On Thursday June 25 we will hold a Drive by / Curb Certificate / Award / Swag bag Pick up by appointment.
- In accordance with Public Health Regulations to keep all our students and staff safe, St. Marguerite will proceed with a Live Graduation Liturgy / Award Virtual Prerecorded video that will be timed to start at 7:00 pm on Wednesday June 24. At the end of the Mass, the pre-recorded Award Ceremony will be released. And sent to you by this email address.
- Our Drive by pickup/ Curb Certificate / Award / on June 25 will begin at 12:30 p.m. Students will be notified of their time slot.
We would like to extend an invite to any and all students interested in sharing their talents in our first ever St. Marguerite’s Got Talent: Virtual Edition! Our school year looks very different as we approach Summer vacation we thought that it would be fun to do a talent show we can still share an exciting event together as a community. We cannot wait to be blown away by your talent! Here is what you need to know:
- Auditions may be submitted by ALL students that wish to participate
- Not all submissions may be included in the final video due to time restrictions – the number of acts included in the final video will also be dependent on the number of submissions received
- You must submit your completed final version of your talent video if you choose to participate
- Your talent video should be no longer than (about 1-2 minutes)
- Your talent may also be displayed in photograph form such as arts and crafts that you have created.
- The videos will be spliced together by none other than Miss. Runco, Mrs. J and Mrs. Baxter and posted to Youtube with comments disabled until the last day of school (June 26th) at which point the video will be removed
- The talent videos should not contain any personal information (i.e. home address or any other personally identifiable information)
- All costumes and songs included in your talent video should be school appropriate and may not contain offensive content or language
- Due to social distancing rules you may not film with someone who lives outside of your home, however if you choose to do so you may edit your video so it is split screen with your friend(s)
- All submissions should be sent to BOTH firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com by no later than June 12th
- *** NOTE by submitting a video for the talent show, you give St. Marguerite permission to post your child’s performance on the St. Marguerite Youtube channel for anyone to access/view
- Remember that this event is optional to participate in but everyone will have viewing access.
Summer School Opportunity
Literacy and Math Summer Programs for Grades 6, 7, and 8 students from July 6 – July 17, 2020 (Session 1) and July 20 – July 31, 2020 (Session 2).
All Session 1 and Session 2 classes will be offered in a distance (e-learning)
Literacy and Math Distance Learning Summer Programs Register Now!
New this year ~ online registration is available for Session 1 and 2. You may register your child for one or both sessions by filling out the following online form: Summer Distance Learning
The online form to register your child is due by Friday, June 26, 2020.
Virtual Run Club
Our running club kicked off last week. We are logging our runs, sharing scenic photos and keeping one another motivated. All students from grades 3 to 8 are welcome to sign up and we will add them to a group platform using Microsoft Teams. Please click on link above for some warmup tips from Principal Cascone Brown
SummerLAND ESL Summer Camp
This three-week summer program is designed for students who will benefit from reinforcement and newcomer students who would benefit from additional practice and assistance to continue to develop their oral, reading, and writing English skills. Students will participate in engaging lessons to meet their individual needs and learning styles.
This program is open to students currently in grade 6, 7, and 8.
It is offered in a Distance Learning Format through HCDSB’s Camp Summerland.
Start Date: July 13
End Date: July 31
Time: Approximately 2 hours of distance learning programming per day; this is flexible for an approximate total of 10 hours per week
Location: Distance Learning (in the comfort of your own home)
For registration details, please contact your child’s teacher.
Clubs continue during Distance Learning!!!
A club activity will be on the St Marguerite Twitter Page daily by @BaxterCYC. All students are welcome to participate. If you are not on Twitter but would like to participate please email Mrs. Baxter at Baxterj@hcdsb.org . You can also message your teacher about your interest in a club and we will send you the info on how to join the club on TEAMS.
Grade 8’s are starting back up with WE Team. Information will be posted weekly on TEAMS. All ideas for upcoming initiatives are welcome.
- Monday -Social Club- Get working on your talent show video. It will be so awesome to see everyone who participates
- Tuesday -Kindness Club- Diversity, read a book, learn about another culture. The world is trying to more inclusive of all cultures. What can you do?
- Wednesday- Move and Groove Club ! Keep moving or running for Marafun.
- Thursday- Lego Club – Making life beautiful day. Make a beautiful lego creation.
- Friday- Art Club. Last day to submit your talent. Draw a picture, write a poem, sing a song, dance, do trick shots. Get creative and send in your submission.