This Sunday, November 28th we mark the beginning of Advent and a new liturgical year.
There is comfort to be found when we pause to read, pray and reflect over the course of the Advent season and prepare our hearts for the celebration of Jesus’ birth. The first Sunday of Advent gives us the opportunity to center our thoughts on hope.
“Advent is a continuous call to hope. The Lord never abandons us; He accompanies us through the events of our lives to help us discover the meaning of the journey, the meaning of everyday life, to give us courage when we are under duress or when we suffer. In the midst of life’s storms, God always extends His hand to us and frees us from threats.” – Pope Francis
We are so proud of our students in all grades who are participating in preparing our weekly Advent Liturgies. Each Monday, classes will watch and listen to that week’s liturgy in their classrooms in preparation for Christmas.
LUNCH TIME SUPERVISOR: St. Luke is in need of an additional lunch time supervisor. This paid position is Monday through Friday (Holidays and P.A. Days excepted) from 11:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. If you might be interested and would like more details, please contact Mrs. Sofia Starr via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone the school at 905-829-1700.
RAPID ANTIGEN TEST HOME KITS: The province will be supplying all publicly funded schools with take-home testing kits before the Christmas break. Each St. Luke student will receive a home kit which contains 5 tests for voluntary screening at home over the holidays. More information will follow once we receive the kits at school and have details from the Board regarding distribution.
TRAVEL REQUIREMENTS: The holidays are quickly approaching and we know that families may be making plans to travel out of the country in the coming weeks. If you are making plans for international travel with your unvaccinated children, please make sure to keep up to date on the specific quarantine requirements your child(ren) will need to follow upon your return to Canada. At present, these requirements include not attending school or daycare for another 14 days once you have returned. Please continue to monitor the ‘Travel, Testing & Borders’ pages of the Government of Canada website https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/covid-vaccinated-travellers-entering-canada#children to help inform your decision making. https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid
COVID-19 VACCINATIONS FOR 5-11 YEAR OLDS: First dose COVID-19 vaccination can now be booked through Halton Region’s online booking system for children five to 11 years of age (or turning five in 2021). Second doses can be booked at a date closer to the recommended eight week interval. Appointments are dependent on paediatric vaccine supply and will be added to the Region’s booking system as supply is confirmed. Please keep checking Halton’s website and booking form as more appointments are added.
Appointments are available at the Region’s new paediatric child-friendly clinics (similar to a doctor’s office) and their four existing community clinics, featuring the Halton Heroes. Appointments are also available at select pharmacies and primary care providers & paediatric offices in Halton. Parents can decide which setting is best for their child, based on age and other personal factors. Information to assist with the decision is available on halton.ca/COVIDvaccines4kids.
- Read Halton Region’s November 22 media release to learn more.
- Find resources and information for parents and children from the Halton Heroes! Get colouring pages, word search, maze, videos and more!
Monday, November 29
- DAILY COVID-19 SCREENING: Elementary students and staff are required to complete and PASS COVID-19 screenings EVERY morning prior to attending school using Ontario’s updated School Screening Tool. Please Note: Children must stay home, even if symptoms are mild.
- Session #2 Pizza Orders: Orders can now be submitted for the next session of pizza lunches using your School Cash Online account. Session #2 begins after Christmas Break and continues through February 23. This flyer will be sent home today with more information. All orders must be submitted by December 10th.
- Joy of Christmas Gift Card Drive Continues: Click here for more information! All gift card donations must be handed in by Monday, December 6th.
- Intermediate Girls Volleyball: Team practice at lunch today.
- Elementary Progress Report Response Form: Please complete and return to your child’s teacher by Wednesday, December 1st. Parents should have received this form via email from the HCDSB on Thursday. Please contact your child’s teacher or the office if you require a hard copy and one will be sent home with your child(ren) today.
Tuesday, November 30
- Intermediate Boys Volleyball: Team practice at lunch today.
- Wear Orange Day: November was declared National Indigenous Peoples Awareness Month. Throughout this month and all through the year we strive to create an environment that honours Indigenous knowledge, culture, perspective and history. As we reach the end of this month, we encourage students and staff to wear orange today to reflect our ongoing commitment to reconciliation and to never forget that Every Child Matters.
Wednesday, December 1
- Elementary Progress Report Response Form: Please return completed Response Forms to your child(ren)’s teacher no later than today.
- Grade 7 Intramurals: Grade 7 students participate at lunchtime every Wednesday.
- Pizza Day
Thursday, December 2
- Grade 8 Intramurals: Grade 8 students participate at lunchtime every Thursday.
Friday, December 3
- International Day of Persons with Disabilities: Students and staff from the Halton Catholic District School Board will be celebrating on this day and throughout the week by participating in a variety of learning activities to raise awareness, and support the rights and significant contributions of persons with disabilities.
- Intermediate Volleyball: Boys & Girls team practices at lunch today.
- Keeping Christ in Christmas: HCDSB Contest closes today.
IMPORTANT UPCOMING DATES:
Monday, November 29 – Pizza Session #2 Opens for Purchases via School Cash Online
Monday, December 6 – Christmas Gift Card Donations Due
Friday, December 10 – Joy Day!
Sunday, December 12 – Session #2 Pizza Orders due by Midnight
Thursday, December 16 – Virtual Advent Liturgy & Christmas Show 12:45 p.m.
Friday, December 17 – Early Dismissal at 1:30 p.m.
Monday, December 20 – Friday, December 31 – Christmas Break
Take care and stay well,
Annalise Sofia Starr (on behalf of S.t Luke CES)