On Wednesday, May 8th, Child and Youth Counsellors; Tara Herod, Rosanna Bird and Bernadette Moodley, will host Wellness Day 2019 for students in grades 1 – 8 with help from our Grade 8 Wellness Ambassadors, St. Thomas Aquinas leadership students and guest speaker Deb Taylor.
The purpose of the day is to educate our students on the Importance of self-care for their own Mental Wellness. All students will learn, through mindful movement, physical exercise, proper nutrition and Christian Mediation, how to become the best possible versions of themselves.
Each student will have the opportunity to participate in four stations throughout the day. The stations are as follows:
- Christian Wellness – the focus will be on Spiritual health and how it impacts our overall health.
- Physical Wellness – the focus will be on healthy bodies and the mind.
- Creative Activity – the focus will be on the importance of creative arts and how to implement it on a daily basis.
- Myndful Wellness –the focus will be on new ways of moving, breathing and coping with kindness and compassion to self and others.
Our guest speaker, Deb Taylor, from Myndful Movement Schools-an intermediate/senior level teacher & mindfulness facilitator will be leading this station. These activities will include breath work while setting positive intentions for their day, rhythmic movement and drumming, mindful movement to music and a strong appreciation for self & all others, acknowledging & appreciating that we are all made in the image of God.
Other items to note for the day;
- One light snack will be provided for all students this day (pizza day will proceed as usual)
- Students should still bring 2 snacks for their breaks
- Students are to bring their water bottles for the day
- The Wellness Day will run from 8:30 a.m. to 2:45 p.m. (including breaks and lunch recess)
If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact Mrs. Moodley at the school at 905-829-1700.