“I’ve failed over and over and over again. And that is why I succeed.” ~ Michael Jordan
Asian Heritage Month
May is the designated Asian Heritage Month in Canada. Asian Heritage Month has been celebrated across Canada since the 1990s. In May 2002, the Government of Canada signed an official declaration to designate May as Asian Heritage Month.
Join us as we celebrate Asian Heritage Month virtually with multiple activities and resources to enjoy at home with your family. Please see the flyer for more details.
On May 19th, the Ministry of Education announced that they are extending the school closure period for all schools in Ontario for the remainder of the 2019-2020 school year. This decision has been made as a safety precaution to protect our students and staff, and help minimize the spread of COVID-19 in our community. In light of this directive, all HCDSB schools and workplaces will remain CLOSED until Friday, June 26, 2020.
For more information on updates during this time visit https://learnathome.hcdsb.org/covid-19-updates/
As Digital Citizens, users recognize the rights, responsibilities and opportunities of living, learning and working in an interconnected digital world, in which they act in ways that are safe, legal and ethical. Students are required to demonstrate digital citizenship through the appropriate use of technology as outlined in our code of conduct. We are committed to working with you to ensure a safe and productive learning environment for all members of our school community.
Students should review the follow:
- Treat other students and school staff with dignity and respect.
- Represent only themselves online. Students should never pretend to be someone else or allow someone else to pretend to be them.
- Complete all work assigned to the best of their ability while adhering to rules around plagiarism.
- Always protect their password(s) and schoolwork so others cannot take advantage.
- Use appropriate and encouraging language when posting opinions, critiquing others and chatting on school platforms.
- Immediately contact the teacher if they are having issues with class platforms (e.g., password no longer working, difficulty submitting work, concern about cyber-bullying, etc).
- Notify their teacher should they feel their work has been compromised, copied or used without their permission.
- Be aware that inappropriate behaviour online could result in disciplinary action as per our Progressive Discipline policy
- Follow the Ontario Catholic School Graduate Expectations while engaging in distance learning
Grade 8 Graduation
We are currently in the process of investigating creative and innovative ways to honour students who are graduating in June. We will be sharing more information on our June 18th Virtual Graduation in the coming weeks.
Make sure to follow us on Twitter @StJoesActon. We highlight all the wonderful things happening with our distance learning and any school updates.