St. John Paul II Catholic School
Weekly Update #8
Monday October 28th – Friday November 1st, 2019
- School Mass: On Tuesday we travelled to St. Matthew Church for our first mass of the school year. It was a beautiful mass! Thank you to the students who participated in the mass and sang in the choir. Thank you also to all the parents who took time out of their busy day to join us in the celebration of the Eucharist!
- Great Big Crunch: On Thursday we participated in The Great Big Crunch! We were provided with apples from local farms and both staff and students enjoyed crunching in unison in support of the Healthy Kids Community Challenge and Halton Food for Thought. Healthy eating is so important!
Hallowe’en Dance-a-Thon-Thursday, October 31st
Please keep those Hallowe’en Dance a Thon pledges coming in. We have already received many envelopes back and are looking forward to our best fundraiser yet! If every child brings in just $25 in pledges, we will reach our goal of $15 000. All pledges are due by October 31. We appreciate all pledges/donations being made online. We have added a link to our website for quick and easy access to Cash Online for pledges. https://elem.hcdsb.org/stjohnpaulii/ Funds raised will go towards many student activities and initiatives, such as the Lion King Jr. musical, new stage curtains and additions to our sound system. Thank you in advance for your support of our Dance-a-thon!
Students are allowed to wear their costumes to school that day. Please ensure that costumes reflect our Christian values, are not scary and do not have weapons of any kind. Also, masks can be worn during the dance BUT must be removed in class and during recess times for safety reasons. PARENTS ARE WELCOME AND ENCOURAGED TO JOIN THE FUN! The schedule of classroom dance times was included with the information that was sent home. Also, please note, Hallowe’en will be a ‘food-free’ celebration. We know that children will get many sweet treats when they trick-or-treat in the evening and appreciate no treats being sent to school. Thank you!
School Prayer: We have adopted a beautiful new school prayer this year. Each week a different class provides prayer leadership by sharing their grade’s Focus on Faith theme and leading our school community in prayer.
Ontario Catholic School Graduate Expectations: As outlined on Curriculum Night, we will be focusing on the Ontario Catholic Graduate Expectations in our work with your children throughout this school year. Each month we will pay special attention to one expectation and how it is evidenced in our relationships with family and friends, in our St. John Paul II school community, and in the larger communities of Oakville and the world. Our focus for the month of October is on being ‘A Discerning Believer’. We will focus on the following ways that students can demonstrate this expectation and encourage you to be mindful of them at home as well:
- I AM A BELIEVER!
- I believe that God is an awesome God.
- I believe and have faith in God.
- I believe that God is always with us.
- I believe that we can talk to God anytime and anywhere, through prayer.
- I believe in the stories of the Bible.
- I believe in the stories of Jesus’ life, death and resurrection.
- I believe in the Church community, celebrating Mass, and the seven sacraments.
- I believe in forgiveness.
- Because I am a believer, I will live my life like Jesus.
Morning Supervision: Please know that morning supervision begins at 8:30 a.m. For the safety of all students, we ask that children are not at school prior to 8:30 a.m.