“The reality is that this is how you know if you’re getting closer to God: more kindness, more gentleness, more joy, more peace, more patience.”
~ Matt Brown
We are now in the third week of advent, and this week we focus on JOY. There is much joy in our hearts at having the opportunity to celebrate this special season together! This will be our last weekly update for 2021! My wish is that all find hope, peace, joy and love during Christmas and throughout the year!
A very huge thank you to everyone in our community who has given so generously to our Angel Tree. Your generosity means families in our community will have a joyous and merry Christmas. I am so proud to be part of this amazing community!
Important Christmas Reminders at St. John:
We have lots planned for our final week of 2021. Please note that MONDAY, WEDNESDAY and FRIDAY are NON-UNIFORM DAYS. Students are expected to be in uniform on Tuesday and Thursday.
- Monday, December 13th is Christmas Sweater Day. Students are free to come in their finest, tackiest Christmas apparel. No uniforms necessary.
- Week Three Advent Liturgy on Monday December 13th at 10:50am hosted by Mrs. Freitas-Paprocki’s class.
- Wednesday, December 15th is Joy Day. Students are encouraged to wear red and green. Classes will be participating in Christmas crafts in the morning. The Assumption School band will be visiting in the afternoon to bring us Christmas cheer. The band presentation will be streamed through Teams for most classes and a link will be sent to families at home as well.
- Wednesday, December 15th at 7PM is our Christmas Virtual Family Game Night. Join us for a rousing game of Christmas Kahoot! Prizes will be awarded to the champions! Information will be sent on Tuesday regarding the Teams link and Kahoot instructions.
- Friday, December 17th is our last day of school before the Christmas break. We will celebrate the day with a pajama party! Jammies and Christmas movies will be how we round out 2021! This is an early dismissal day of 1:30!
Rapid Antigen Screening Kit
During the week of December 13th – 17th, your child will be taking home a Rapid Antigen Screening Kit for voluntary use over the Christmas holiday.
The rapid antigen screening kits have been provided by the Government of Ontario for every student who attends in-person learning at a publicly funded school. These kits may be used by any student, regardless of their vaccination status, however, should only be used when a child is asymptomatic (does not have any symptoms of COVID-19) and has not had any exposure to a confirmed case of COVID-19.
Please note, your child’s participation in this rapid antigen screening is voluntary and is not a required action for return to school after the Christmas break.
Thank you for your ongoing support as we work closely with the Ministry of Education and Halton Public Health to help keep our community safe and healthy for all.
COVID-19 Safety Measures for return in January:
Schools have been directed to collect confirmation of daily Covid School Screen for the first 2 weeks of January. Log sheets will be sent home with all students this week for parents to use to track the daily screening. Alternatively parents can email results daily to the teacher or students that have their own device can share these results with their classroom teacher before entering the school. Please note that this is mandatory and while we certainly appreciate that morning can be busy at home we are asking for your assistance in completing this.
The Government of Ontario daily self-screening tool can be accessed here: https://covid-19.ontario.ca/school-screening/ . Please complete daily before attending school.
Winter Break Travel
With the holiday season approaching, it is anticipated that many staff, students and families will choose to make travel plans over the break. We would like to remind families to follow federal directives related to international travel and quarantine requirements
- As winter weather is fast approaching, parents are reminded to visit our website for important information and reminders regarding our Inclement Weather procedures and the Inclement Weather Transportation Zones map: http://bit.ly/HCDSBInclementWeather
Looking for notifications on bus delays and cancellations?
Halton Student Transportation Services (HSTS) provides important information for parents and students who ride the bus to and from school. Bus delays and cancellation information can be found directly on the Delays & Cancellationspage.
Parents and caregivers are kindly asked to wear masks while on school property for drop offs and pickups to protect themselves and others during these busy times when social distancing cannot be maintained. Thank you in advance for your assistance and support in keeping everyone safe.
Have a wonderful last week! Stay safe and be well. I pray for every family to stay healthy and safe, especially during this Christmas season. Please continue to follow the direction of Public Health so we can safely attend school. Please follow us on twitter @stjburlington to see all the great things happening at school!