“Let gratitude be the pillow upon which you kneel to say your nightly prayer. And let faith be the bridge you build to overcome evil and welcome good.”
~ Maya Angelou
Let me begin by saying thank you to all for everything you have done to make these first 5 weeks go smoothly. It has certainly been a blessing to have everyone back in the building and to be in community with each other. For this we are all very thankful.
Thank you to our new Catholic School Council. We had our first meeting and we have lots of wonderful ideas to reengage our families and support our whole community. Updates to council, including agendas and minutes are posted on the School Council page on our website.
- Monday, October 11th is Thanksgiving and therefore there is no school.
- We continue our October Food Drive. Non-perishable food items are being collected for the Burlington Foodbank until the end of the month.
- Friday, October 22nd is a Non-Uniform Day. Twoonie donations will go to support a The Wenjack Project, in order to continue to highlight our commitment to supporting Indigenous Truth and Reconciliation. More information can be found here.
- Friday, October 29th will be our spooktacular Halloween Dance. More information is listed below.
- Pizza Day’s will be returning in November, with new and improved safety measures. Information will be emailed out this week.
- Picture Day is back. Lifetouch will be in the school Monday, November 1st to do individual student photos. More information to come.
Reminder about Lunch and Snacks:
We have several children in our school who live with a severe life-threatening food allergy to peanuts and tree nuts (anaphylaxis). Please choose items carefully when sending lunches and snacks to school. Please be extra vigilant to avoid sending those treats that contain nuts or traces of nuts. (REMINDER: Alternate “peanut butter” spreads are difficult to differentiate from the real product and make monitoring student safety a challenge. Please do not send “peanut butter” look-alike products to school.) Thank you for your continued cooperation in ensuring the safety of our students.
SafeArrival Student Absence Reporting:
The safety and wellbeing of our students is our highest priority. Please use the automated student attendance management system SafeArrival to report your child’s absence.
The SafeArrival system is available 24/7, allowing you to report your child’s absence in one of three ways:
- using the SchoolMessenger® mobile app
- by logging into the SchoolMessenger® web site
- by calling into an interactive toll-free phone line
SafeArrival enhances our existing student attendance procedure, making it more convenient for parents to report a child’s absence, and more efficient for our school office staff to follow up sooner on unexplained absences.
Spooktacular Halloween Dance-a-thon:
On Friday October 29th we will be celebrating Halloween. For those of you new to St. John this is a time honoured tradition to showcase the talents of our students and allow for some fun. All students are welcome to wear costumes or black and orange. Dance performances by students will be filmed and presented in individual classes and each class will have a gym time for their class to get their groove on. Should the weather hold out we will take the party to the playground to maximize the fun in a safe way!
Costume considerations to be safe at school:
Costumes must not:
- Impair vision or breathing, there are no masks as students will be wearing masks for COVID-19 protocol;
- Present a trip hazard to the wearer or the bystander;
- Represent disfiguring injury or, to put it bluntly, “blood and guts”;
- Promote themes or activities inappropriate for a Catholic elementary school;
- Be revealing or suggestive;
- Include weapons or replica weapons;
- Require staff to apply or remove costume pieces and/or make-up
- Allow the student easy, independent access to the washroom. This is especially important for students from FDK to grade 2.
- Allow the student to wear sufficiently warm clothing over or under the costume as weather/temperature dictates for outdoor recess.
The Spooktacular Halloween Dance-a-thon will coincide with our School Fundraiser, which is a donation Campaign. Information will be sent on Tuesday explaining the process. Looking forward a “spooky” Halloween!
Daily Self Screening:
All staff and students must self-screen every day before attending school. The province will continue to provide a screening tool for use by all school boards and may update this throughout the school year. All staff and students who are experiencing symptoms consistent with COVID-19 as identified in the screening tool, must not attend school and should follow the guidance provided in the screening tool, which may include seeking appropriate medical attention as required, and/or getting tested for COVID-19.
Reminder that when entering school property all students and caregivers need to be masked as we cannot guarantee social distancing during busy drop off and pick up times.
Have a wonderful week! Stay safe and be well. I pray for every family to stay healthy and safe. Please continue to follow the direction of Public Health so we can safely attend school. Please follow us on twitter @stjburlington to see all the great things happening at school!