“I can do things you cannot, you can do things I cannot; together we can do great things.”
~ Mother Teresa
Welcome to a new week at St. John. We had a great first full week of school, with everyone quickly adjusting to all our health protocols, yet still having fun! Thank you for all your support, assistance, and cooperation in making things run smoothly!
Students participated in safe and caring school assemblies last week and I highlighted that as a Catholic School we are a family, that works to lift each other up and support every person in our building. Dignity, kindness and respect are the foundation for all we do and we aspire to leave each day better than the one before.
A few important reminders and pieces of information are listed below.
- Reminder that nomination forms for Catholic School Council are due by 4PM Monday. Late submissions are unfortunately not allowed. If you are interested in volunteering please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Our virtual Curriculum Night will take place Thursday, September 23rd . The evening will begin with a Teams presentation for all families at 6:30 in which I will walk you through the school vision for the year. Individual Teacher presentations will take place at 7PM and 7:30PM. Links will be sent the day of. Please note that time will be allotted during teacher presentations to ask questions. Please ensure these questions are general and pertain to the whole class. Should you have any questions specific to your own child please reach out to the teacher individually.
- Friday, September 24th will be a non-uniform red and white day in support of our Terry Fox Run. Classes will be participating in a walk to show their support for the Terry Fox Foundation. Students are asked to give a donation to participate in the non-uniform day. Our goal this year is to raise $1000!! If every student donates just $3.50 we will raise over a $1000 in support of cancer research!!!!
- Please hold our students in your prayers as they are finally able to celebrate their First Communion on Sunday, September 26th at 2PM. We are so blessed to be able to share in this sacramental journey.
- Thursday, September 30th is Orange Day in support and recognition of Every Child Matters and Indigenous Truth and Reconciliation Day. This day will be dedicated to our own reflection and commitment to promoting Solidarity with our Indigenous brothers and sisters. There will be a school wide virtual liturgy hosted by Mrs. Fisher’s grade 7/8 class. Orange shirts only. Uniform bottoms are a must.
Daily Covid Screening:
All staff and students must self-screen every day before attending school. The province will continue to provide a screening tool found here for use by all school boards and may update this throughout the school year. All staff and students who are experiencing symptoms consistent with COVID-19 as identified in the screening tool, Must Not attend school and should follow the guidance provided in the screening tool, which may include seeking appropriate medical attention as required, and/or getting tested for COVID-19.
Parents/caregivers are no longer required to complete and submit the daily log to school at this time, however this could be reintroduced at any time through out the year.
Thank you for your continued assistance in making sure that everyone that enters our building is healthy and safe!
Drop-off and Pick-up
We ask that only one parent or guardian come onto school property to drop off and pick up children. Parents and guardians are asked to drop at the gate and immediately vacate the area to avoid congestion. At this time, parents will not be permitted to enter school (unless there is an extenuating need, and prior approval has been obtained as per the Visitor Protocol).
Please note that our parking lot fills quickly and so people are encouraged to walk when they can or to designate an alternate pick up spot with your child(ren). The street behind the school allows for clear line of vision and easy access for all.
Caregivers and students are asked to be masked during pick up and drop-off, as these are busy times and we cannot guarantee a socially distanced environment. Thank you for your continued support in keeping everyone safe!
Supervision begins at 8:15 am. For the safety of your children we request that your child NOT be on school property until a supervisor is on duty. For safety, please see that your children leave home with ample time to ensure that they are in the schoolyard when the bell rings. Encourage your children to use appropriate crosswalks and walkways. Establish routines at home that will assist your child to arrive on time. Please be aware that the volume of traffic in the parking lot increases significantly just prior to the entry bell. Students are asked to come directly to their line up area.
Children arriving late for school must first report to the office for a late slip.
Please continue to report student absences through the School Messenger System. The instructions for reporting an absence can be found here.
Have a wonderful week! Stay safe and be well. I pray for every family to stay healthy and safe. Please continue to follow the direction of Public Health so we can safely attend school. Please follow us on twitter @stjburlington to see all the great things happening at school!