“KINDNESS IS CHOOSING TO ACKNOWLEDGE AND CELEBRATE THE BEAUTY IN OTHERS, REGARDLESS OF WHETHER OR NOT THEY CAN FIND IT IN THEMSELVES.”
Welcome to the Month of February. There are lots of important reminders for the month so please pay close attention to details below.
Labour Negotiations Update
Our school will be CLOSED to students on Tuesday, February 4, 2020 as a result of the recent announcement by OECTA of a province-wide, one-day full withdrawal of services.
Please note that there may be picket lines present at our school location, which may impact traffic flow and cause potential minor delays in our school parking lot.
Thank you for your patience and understanding during this time. For more information, please visit the Halton Catholic District School Board’s website: Labour Negotiations Update.
Cold and Flu Season:
We are experiencing a higher volume of students with cold and flu symptoms and we would like to remind parents that children who are feeling unwell and not able to participate in normal school activities (including recess) should stay home until they are well enough for full participation. Please remember to call in or email your child’s absence and include the reason for the absence.
We continue to encourage and practice preventative cleaning and hygiene at the school to keep students and staff healthy and safe. Thank you for your assistance in this matter.
Child and Youth Counselor:
We are fortunate to be supported 2.5 days a week by a child and youth counselor. In addition to individual student services, CYC’s are often invited into classrooms to support class wide learning. Topic areas may include social skills, emotional regulation, conflict resolution and self-advocacy skills. We are fortunate to have Ms. Giordani support Roots of Empathy and Minds Up programs throughout the school, helping students in their journey of self-regulation and mindfulness.
Black History Month:
February is Black History Month and while we focus on inclusion and diversity every day, we celebrate the outstanding contributions and impact Black Canadians make in Canada. For more information on events this month please see here.
- Our next Catholic School Council meeting is Monday, February 3rd at 6:30 PM. All are welcome to join.
- Sign up for grade 1-8 students interested in participating in the St. John Parish Men’s Group Talent Show will begin Monday. Auditions will be held on Thursday and Friday this week over the lunch hour.
- Thursday, February 6th is National Sweater Day. The school will lower the thermostat by one degree to help limit our carbon footprint that day. Students will be allowed to wear a sweater over top of their regular uniform attire. Thank you to our ECO team for this great initiative.
- Parents of students making their First Holy Communion this year (typically grade 2) are asked to come to a parent information night on Thursday, February 13th at 7 PM in the school library. Please contact Father Bob directly if you are unable to attend.
- Thank you to all who have already registered for entry into Kindergarten next September. Online registration is always available for new students. We look forward to all our new learners coming in next year!
Have a wonderful week!
Please follow us on twitter @stjburlington to see all the amazing things happening at St. John. I am pleased to see our followers growing as we tweet out the learning taking place throughout the school!