I used to believe that prayer changes things, but now I know that prayer changes us, and we change things.
Welcome to the first week of June. June is a packed month so please read important reminders and upcoming events carefully to stay on top of everything.
With the end of the year approaching we have some important staffing announcements and farewells for the upcoming school year. The staff at St. John are truly exceptional and it is with sadness that I announce the following departures:
- Ms. Dalli will be leaving St. John as she has been relocated to St. Gregory the Great in Oakville. Ms. Dalli has been a wonderful addition to the staff this year. Her dedication in the classroom and in the school as a whole has been astounding and we wish her the best of luck in her new school. St. Gregory is certainly lucky to be getting her.
- Mr. Nagy has announced his retirement. Mr. Nagy has been teaching for 28 years, 20 of which he proudly served the St. John Community. His dedication, kindness and overall presence is going to be missed by all at St. John. We wish him the best of luck as he enters this new stage in his life, a stage that will allow him the freedom to be with his grandchildren and live a life without schedules!
- Raptors wear days. Students are allowed to wear their raptors gear (or red, black and white) tops on game days. UNIFORM BOTTOMS ARE A MUST. Students arriving in non-uniform bottoms will be directed to call home and have bottoms dropped off.
- Uniform reminders. Students are expected to wear ISW (or McCarthy) uniform tops and bottoms. Outside sources are not acceptable. Parents are kindly asked to comply by purchasing uniforms from the providers only. Students wearing non-uniform attire will be have parents contacted.
- Appropriate footwear is required daily for students. This means running shoes or closed toe, low heeled footwear. Our students are very active at recess and during gym and open sandals and flip flops do not provide adequate protection for little toes.
- Friday, June 7th is a PA Day. There is NO school for students.
- Play Day Tuesday, June 18th in the morning. This will be a non-uniform summer wear day.
- Thursday, June 20th is our final school mass lead by our graduates from grade 8. Mass begins at 9 AM. All are welcome to join.
- Our last Pizza Day is Friday, June 21.
- Last Day of school is Friday, June 28th.
Family Fun Fair Thursday, June 6th. 5:30-8PM.
Thank you for the very generous contributions to our class baskets that will be raffled off. Each basket is absolutely overflowing with amazing goodies. We have also had a number of prizes donated for the silent auction.
Raffle Tickets are $2/each or 3 for $5. Baskets will be displayed for students to see on Tuesday and Wednesday. Beginning on Thursday students can purchase tickets at lunch time (please make sure they have their name and contact number with them. Grade 8 students will help with the process). Tickets of course will be on sale at the fun fair as well.
Knights of Columbus are hosting the BBQ and for $5 you can have a burger or hot dog, chips and a drink. Ice cream sandwiches and freezies will be on sale for $1.
Fun activities will include games for kids, karaoke, a visit from the fire department, and booths set up by the public library.
We are truly looking forward to having a wonderful end of year celebration for all our families. Students are reminded that bikes are not to be ridden on school property for the safety of walkers and themselves. Please dismount upon entering school property.
Bike to School:
This week we will celebrate Bike to School or Walk to School week. We encourage everyone to get out and get active!
The Special Education Department is excited to announce the ABA for All Bonanza event running for one entire day in our school on Monday, June 10th. This event will showcase what we do in education to support the use of ABA Methodology, highlighting the collaboration of multiple disciplines (Behaviour Analysts, Itinerants, Child and Youth Counselors, Speech Language Pathologists and Communication Disorder Assistants), and celebrating all the great things already happening in our Board. The ABA Bonanza is an opportunity to learn more about Educational ABA and to help all those who work in education to better understand what educational ABA is, and what is expected in an education context.
Parents in the community are welcome to attend the ABA Bonanza from 2:30 to 3:30 to learn about what we do in education to support the use of ABA Methodology and to celebrate the great things already occurring in our school.
Thank you for your support!
Have a wonderful week!
Please follow us on twitter @stjburlington to see all the amazing things happening at St. John. I am pleased to see our followers growing as we tweet out the learning taking place throughout the school!