“Let us not close our hearts, let us not lose confidence, let us never give up. There are no situations which God cannot change, if only we open ourselves to Him.“
Change to Learning Environment for Elementary Students – Request Form Now Open!
As you know, as per Ministry of Education direction, we have moved to remote learning for all students until at least January 17, 2022.
NOTE: Any requested changes will come into effect on January 24, 2022, however, if the Ministry of Education extends the remote learning period, the requested changes will come into effect once schools re-open for in-class instruction.
Given the Province’s temporary move to Step 2 of the Roadmap to Reopening in order to help slow the spread of the COVID-19 Omicron variant, we have revised our plan to provide greater flexibility for families. We will now offer two (2) opportunities for families to request a change to learning environment for elementary students.
The first opportunity to request a change in learning environment for elementary students is now available. The online request form will be open from Wednesday, January 5th until 11:59 p.m. on Friday, January 14th.
The requested changes will come into effect on Monday, January 24, 2022, or once schools re-open for in-class instruction if the period of remote learning is extended.
IMPORTANT NOTES FOR FAMILIES REQUESTING A CHANGE TO THE VIRTUAL SCHOOL:
- If schools resume in-person instruction on January 17th, families who wish to keep their children home until the switch occurs on January 24th will be able to access asynchronous resources for their children through their current class on the D2L platform during the week of January 17-21.
- Parents/guardians requesting a change for their children to the virtual elementary school (St. Clare of Assisi Catholic Elementary Virtual School) will be asked to choose whether they want to keep their children enrolled in virtual learning until the final change in Learning Environment opportunity after Easter OR until the end of the school year.
The final opportunity to request a change in learning environment for elementary students will be released after March Break. The requested changes will come into effect after Easter on Tuesday, April 19th.
Request to Change Learning Environment
If you wish to change your child’s learning environment by switching from in-class instruction to the virtual school, or vice versa, please complete the online request form below. Please complete this form ONLY if you would like to make a change to the learning environment that your child was in prior to the Christmas break. If you want your child to remain in the same learning format they were in before the break, no further action is required.
Important notes before you complete the online form:
- Please submit a separate form for each child.
- You will need your child’s Ontario Education Number (OEN) to submit this request. The OEN can be found on a recent report card.
- This online request form applies to elementary students ONLY. Requests for changes in the learning environment at the secondary school level should be sent directly to your child’s secondary school.
COMPLETE THE ONLINE FORM HERE
This online form will remain open until 11:59 p.m. on Friday, January 14, 2022.
Please direct any technical questions regarding this form to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Once the online form has closed, our staff will begin to work through the rescheduling process.
- Parents and guardians will receive confirmation of the changes to their children’s learning environment by Wednesday, January 19th.
- The changes to your child’s learning environment will come into effect as of Monday, January 24, 2022, or once in-school instruction resumes, if it extends beyond January 24th.
- If in-class instruction resumes on January 17th, your child’s current placement (in-class or virtual) will continue to be in place for the week of January 17-21. Asynchronous instruction will be posted for students, should parents/guardians decide to keep their children home while awaiting the switch to the virtual school.
St. Matthew Catholic Parish
Follow St. Matthew Catholic Church on Social Media and keep up to date with all that is happening in our parish! There are four ways to connect to the parish:
- Website – https://www.saintmatthew.ca/
- Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/saintmtoakville
- Twitter – @saintmtoakville
- YouTube – https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2Af1hB7O-VS5PB1gYvTJhA
Community Event: Internet Safety with Paul Davis
Your SJOA CSC has partnered with St. Matthew CSC to provide staff, students and the community a unique online experience with Internet Safety icon Paul Davis. So please join us online, Tuesday, January 26th @ 6:00 pm. Links will be sent in the coming weeks.
COVID-19 Safety Measures
- The province will be updating the COVID-19 school and child care screener ahead of the return to school on January 5 as well as updating COVID-19 reporting requirements for school boards and child care in January.
- The province will be supplying three-ply cloth masks for students in January. These masks will be distributed to families once we have received them from the Ministry.
- Families who have travelled outside of Canada over the Christmas break are reminded to monitor updates to federal travel directives and mandatory isolation periods for students. Please refer to the Government of Canada’s instructions for travellers from outside Canada for more information.
*Please continue to monitor your emails for updates from the school and the Board.
UPDATED COVID-19 Safety Measures
For the safety and well-being of all students and staff, parents and guardians must perform daily screening of their child(ren) for COVID-19 symptoms BEFORE leaving for school using the COVID-19 Self-Assessment.
- Check your child’s temperature to ensure they do not have a fever (temperature greater than 37.8C)
- Monitor for signs and symptoms (including atypical symptoms) of COVID-19
- Individuals experiencing symptoms consistent with COVID-19 as identified in the screening tool, must not attend school and should follow the guidance provided in the screening tool
The Government of Ontario daily self-screening tool can be accessed here: https://covid-19.ontario.ca/school-screening/
Please take time to complete your child’s Daily COVID 19 screening each morning. We are asking all parents to confirm screening by initialing the log each day. This needs to be completed by a parent daily until further notice as per the Ministry of Education Update: Return to School – January 2022. Thank you for your support and patience!
Dressing for Winter
- Please ensure your child is dressed each day to play outside at recess. Students are outside for all regular outside activities when it is warmer than -15°C. When temperatures range between -15°C to -20°C, students may remain outside for no longer than 20-minute intervals, once temperatures are colder than -20°C students must remain inside.
- As winter weather is fast approaching, parents are reminded to visit our website for important information and reminders regarding our Inclement Weather procedures and the Inclement Weather Transportation Zones map: http://bit.ly/HCDSBInclementWeather
Looking for notifications on bus delays and cancellations?
Halton Student Transportation Services (HSTS) provides important information for parents and students who ride the bus to and from school. Bus delays and cancellation information can be found directly on the Delays & Cancellations page.