On Thursday, January 7, 2021, the Ontario government announced the extension of teacher-led remote learning until January 25, 2021 for elementary students. Secondary students will continue to participate in remote learning until January 25th.
Read more in the online News Release.
Expectations for Elementary Schools
- Elementary schools will be closed for in-person learning between January 4-22, 2021.
- Beginning Monday, January 4th and until Friday, January 22nd , all elementary students will learn remotely from home.
- In-school instruction for elementary school students will resume on Monday, January 25, 2021.
Virtual Elementary School
- Students enrolled in the Virtual Elementary School will continue to follow their established schedules.
- The change in learning format between in-person and virtual instruction will be delayed until our school re-opens for in-person learning on January 25, 2021.
Technology Support for Students
Families that were provided a device to support student learning are not required to return their device on Monday, January 11 as previously planned. Families may continue to use their loaned devices throughout the extended remote learning period.
Resources for Parents & Families
The following resources provide some guidelines for parents and students to help ensure safe and effective live online learning:
- Role of Parents in Virtual Learning (Elementary)
- Learning at Home – Live Online Learning Tips for Parents
- Learning at Home – Live Online Learning Tips for Students
- Access to Your Child’s Learning Platform:
- Having Tech Issues? Contact our HCDSB Help Desk for Remote Learners
Supporting Students with Special Education Needs
- To support remote learning for all special education students, school staff (Teachers, Educational Assistants, etc.) as well as board professionals (e.g. Speech and Language Pathologists) will continue to provide ongoing support and services virtually.
- For students with special education needs who cannot be accommodated through remote learning, we will provide in-person support during the remote learning period.
- Child care centres will remain OPEN for the duration of these time-limited public health actions.
- All Before and After School Programs will be CLOSED January 4-22, 2021, when elementary schools are closed to in-person learning.
Parents and guardians who have concerns about the health and well-being of their children are encouraged to seek help in one or more of the following ways:
- Contact our school directly. School staff, including School Social Workers, School Child and Youth Counsellors, Principals and Vice-Principals, are always available to support our students.
- Contact your family doctor.
- Contact the community Health and Resource Center, Public Health Department, by dialing 311.
- Contact Kids Help Phone – 1 (800) 668-6868 or visit: KidsHelpPhone.ca
Financial Support for Families
Financial support is available for families during this temporary remote learning period through the Support for Learners program. Starting on January 11, 2021, an expanded Support for Learners program is providing $200 for each child or youth up to Grade 12 and $250 for each child or youth up to age 21 with special needs. Applications will be open until February 8, 2021.
Faith & Well-Being Resources
Here are a list of supports for families to access during this difficult time:
- School Mental Health Ontario: www.smho-smso.ca.
- Kids Help Phone at 1 (800) 668-6868 or visit KidsHelpPhone.ca for 24/7 support.
- Faith and Well-Being Resources: https://learnathome.hcdsb.org/faith-well-being/
As all students will be learning remotely until January 22, student transportation services will not be provided January 4-22, 2021. Once schools resume in-class instruction, student transportation services will resume.
Updates & Additional Information
We will continue to share information and updates with parents directly via email, as well as post updates on our Return to School Plan website and through our social media channels: