“Spread love everywhere you go. Let no one ever come to you without leaving happier.”
St. Mother Teresa of Calcutta
We appreciate all your patience and support as we move to our online platforms. We know that this transition is difficult but together we were able to ensure our students were back to learning. Thank you parents for helping in this process!
Remote Learning Attendance
Attendance will be taken twice daily: once in the morning and again after lunch. If your child is not able to attend or participate in remote learning on any given day, please report his or her absence as you typically would during in-person learning through the School Messenger Safe Arrival System.
If your child arrives late to the synchronous session, is experiencing technical difficulties, etc., but has been marked absent and you are receiving notifications from the safe arrival system, please send an email to your child’s teacher so that your child’s attendance status can be updated. Please do not call the school as a staff member may not be available to receive your call right away.
New Screening Tool
For any staff and student entering the school building, please be advised that the Government of Ontario daily self-screening has been UPDATED as of Thursday, January 6th – please use this new updated tool before entering the building
This screening tool is more accurate than the one that you would have used previously.
We thank you in your ongoing support in keeping staff and students safe.
Kindergarten is an exciting milestone for your child and for your family! Our school offers a full-day, 2-year Kindergarten program, designed to engage curious early learners through different kinds of play, that help children learn how to reason and problem-solve as they interact with one another.
When Can My Child Begin Kindergarten?
To register your child to begin Junior Kindergarten (Year 1) in September 2022, your child must be four years old by December 31, 2022. Children enrolled in Senior Kindergarten (Year 2) must be five years old by December 31, 2022.
To learn more about the registration process, please follow the link below.
Important Notes for Families Requesting a Change to the Virtual School
Given the Province’s temporary move to Step 2 of the Roadmap to Reopening to help slow the spread of the COVID-19 Omicron variant, HCDSB has revised the plan to provide greater flexibility for families. Families will now be offered two (2) opportunities to request a change to learning environment for elementary students. The first opportunity to request a change in learning environment for elementary students is now available. The online request form will be open from Wednesday, January 5th until 11:59 p.m. on Friday, January 14th. The requested changes will come into effect on Monday, January 24, 2022, or once schools re-open for in-class instruction if the period of remote learning is extended.
- If schools resume in-person instruction on January 17th, families who wish to keep their children home until the switch occurs on January 24th will be able to access asynchronous resources for their children through their current class on the D2L platform during the week of January 17-21.
- Parents/guardians requesting a change for their children to the virtual elementary school (St. Clare of Assisi Catholic Elementary Virtual School) will be asked to choose whether they want to keep their children enrolled in virtual learning until the final change in Learning Environment opportunity after Easter OR until the end of the school year.
The final opportunity to request a change in learning environment for elementary students will be released after March Break. The requested changes will come into effect after Easter on Tuesday, April 19th.
Request to Change Learning Environment
If you wish to change your child’s learning environment by switching from in-class instruction to the virtual school, or vice versa, please complete the online request form below. Please complete this form ONLY if you would like to make a change to the learning environment that your child was in prior to the Christmas break.
If you want your child to remain in the same learning format they were in before the break, no further action is required.
Important notes before you complete the online form:
- Please submit a separate form for each child.
- You will need your child’s Ontario Education Number (OEN) to submit this request. The OEN can be found on a recent report card.
- This online request form applies to elementary students ONLY. Requests for changes in the learning environment at the secondary school level should be sent directly to your child’s secondary school.
COMPLETE THE ONLINE FORM HERE
This online form will remain open until 11:59 p.m. on Friday, January 14, 2022.
Once the online form has closed, our staff will begin to work through the rescheduling process.
- Parents and guardians will receive confirmation of the changes to their children’s learning environment by Wednesday, January 19th.
- The changes to your child’s learning environment will come into effect as of Monday, January 24, 2022, or once in-school instruction resumes, if it extends beyond January 24th.
If in-class instruction resumes on January 17th, your child’s current placement (in-class or virtual) will continue to be in place for the week of January 17-21. Asynchronous instruction will be posted for students, should parents/guardians decide to keep their children home while awaiting the switch to the virtual school
Health and Physical Education Parent/Guardian Remote Learning Information and Checklist
Please read through the checklist for Health and Physical education for your children before and while they participate virtually. This checklist was also provided in a recent email to families.
Lunch Box Orders
With the extended school closure until January 14, School Lunch Box orders through School Cash Online will be cancelled.
Lunch program dates scheduled up to and including January 14 will be cancelled. The lunch schedule will resume delivery the week of January 17.
We will cancel all lunch orders placed January 5-14. Parents who have orders placed will receive a credit for their cancelled orders. Parents will receive an email notification when the cancellation is complete, and the credit is applied to your account.
Any pizza days which were missed due to the school closure, those dates will be adjusted later in the year to accommodate those days lost.
Follow us on Twitter: @StGregoryhcdsb, 1,100 followers and counting!
Thank you for your support and patience.
D. Attardo D. Fitzpatrick