“May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, so that you may abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit” – St. Paul
A Message from Bishop Crosby
During the week of May 3 to May 8, 2020, school boards within our Diocese will celebrate the significant contribution that Catholic Education has made to the community, the province and to Canada. The theme for this upcoming week is Igniting Hope. We invite you to watch Bishop Crosby’s message.
Catholic Education Week – May 3 to May 8
Each year, the Catholic community of Ontario engages in a week-long celebration of the unique identity and distinctive contributions of Catholic education during Catholic Education Week. This year’s celebration is entitled, “Catholic Education: Igniting Hope” and will be celebrated during the week of May 3 – May 8.
The five sub-themes for Catholic Education: Igniting Hope are:
- Our Hope in Christ
- The Hope Within Us
- The Hope Among Us
- Hope for the World
- A Future Full of Hope
Catholic Education Week is a week in which our students and staff are very excited about welcoming our Parents & Guests into our school for various activities & celebrations. Although this year will be very different, it is now more important than ever to recognize and appreciate the many gifts of Catholic Education. We are truly blessed to be able to celebrate our Faith as we support & nurture your child as they learn and grow. Please consider ways in which you can celebrate this special week at home with your family.
We invite our families to consider the following ways in which you can collectively “Ignite Hope” at home and within our community:
- Create a fancy message of hope in chalk on your driveway or sidewalk for passerby to read or create a poster to put in a window.
- Write a postcard or note of thanks for frontline healthcare workers and drop this in the mailbox for a local hospital.
- Create a Rosary out of painted rocks and place them in your garden.
- Bake cookies and deliver them to your neighbourhood grocery store for workers to share.
- Make cards or draw pictures for seniors in your community.
- Music makes us happy. Create a playlist of happy music. Play this in your backyard, or if you are able, send it to a family member who you miss.
- Make a video or recording, singing a favourite hymn. Send this to your parish priest. He needs support at this time.
- Look in your bible or go online to make a list of psalms that give hope.
- Write an acrostic poem about HOPE… H is for Happiness, O is for Ongoing, P is for … etc.
- Write words of hope on index cards or paper and hang them from a tree in your yard for others to read.
- Go for a walk past your local parish. Stop in front of your church and say a prayer for your faith community.
- Look through a newspaper for stories of hope and talk about the stories.
- Put messages of hope on social media.
- Plant some seeds in the ground. When they bloom, they will give hope.
- Phone your grandparents and tell them you love them.
- Offer a hug to a family member in your house.
Here is a list of movies with the Theme of Hope for Children:
- Ralph Breaks the Internet
- Finding Nemo
- Ruby Bridges
- The Rookie
- Christopher Robin
- The Incredible Journey
- The World’s Greatest Athlete
Mental Health Week May 4-8th
The theme of Mental Health Week this year is Self Care. Each day of the week brings a different focus.
COVID-19 Together! Halton Food For Thought
Food for Thought, Food for Life and Food 4 Kids Halton have partnered with the Halton Catholic District School Board and the Halton District School Board to ensure our students receive the support they need. Where to get food in Halton
If you are aware that you will not be returning to St. Gregory the Great in September, please let the office know. We are starting preliminary planning for next year and having the most updated information is very helpful when we look at class organization.
School Cash Online Refunds
The remainder of Term 2 pizza refunds have now all been requested and processed on School Cash online for our St. Gregory families. There is a backlog in processing the refunds but they will be issued back to the original payment method used on School Cash once they are processed by Moneris. For families who paid for Term 2 pizza by cheque or cash, cheque refunds can only be issued once school closures are lifted and we have access to the school.
Due to school closures, we will be providing parents with a different option for the Spring Kindergarten Parent Orientation. More information will be shared soon. Thank you for your continued support and patience.
Cross Boundary Renewals for September 2020
Mrs. Palucci will be emailing out cross boundary forms that need to be renewed for existing cross boundary students. Due to privacy concerns, cross boundary renewal applications are filled in with personal information should not be emailed back to us.
Completed forms will need to be mailed to St. Gregory the Great- 138 Sixteen Mile Dr, Oakville, ON L6M 0T7 Please address the envelope – St. Gregory the Great – Cross Boundary Renewal Request.
All NEW cross boundary applications will be reviewed by Superintendents at the beginning of June. Once a determination has been made a confirmation email will be sent to the parents.
Special Mass for Our Grade Two Students
On Saturday, May 9th, and 10:00 am, Fr. Issac will be live-streaming a special Mass as an offering for all of our Grade 2 students who are waiting to receive their First Communion. Debbie Frey is asking that all of our Grade 2 students draw a picture of the Eucharist, and place it in their bedroom window. Take a photo of the Eucharist picture in your child’s window and email it to Debbie at firstname.lastname@example.org. The pictures will be incorporated into the special Mass being held just for them. To watch the Mass with your family, go to the Mary Mother of God Parish website and click the “Livestream” button at the top of the menu on Saturday, May 9th, at 10:00 am.
Hierarchy of Needs… A reminder during these uncertain times
Follow us on Twitter @StGregoryHCDSB and Instagram @stgregoryhcdsb