In consultation with our St. Gabriel Catholic School Council, we will be keeping with our traditional fundraiser, the Halloween Boogie-a-thon! Although the parameters and procedures around this fun experience will look much different this year, both School Council and Administration feel the Boogie-a-thon is an event that students, staff, and parents look forward to each year! The Boogie-a-thon will be held on Friday, October 30th, 2020 with some changes:
- Students will be dancing with their class cohort either in their classroom, or outside if the weather/temperature permits
- If indoors, students will dance in their classrooms wearing cloth masks. If outdoors, students are permitted to dance without their masks while maintaining proper physical distancing within their designated Zones
- Students will be permitted to wear costumes for Halloween this year – please see the section on “Costume Considerations for a Catholic School”
- Traditionally, the Boogie-a-thon has been our major fundraiser for the school year. Although we are looking to raise funds for the school, it will be considered a minor school fundraiser for the 2020-2021 school year
- We will not be using the customary pledge sheets this year for the Boogie-a-thon as students cannot be expected to go door-to-door for donations, and we want to reduce the use of paper and subsequent contact points between home and school
- Our staff will be taking photos and video of the day’s events and posting them on both our St. Gabriel Twitter and Instagram pages
Contributions for the Boogie-a-thon will be accepted through our HCDSB Donation System ONLY this year. Families will have the ability to donate in an amount of their own choosing and are reminded they will receive an income tax receipt for any donation over $25.00. Please keep this in mind when considering a donation. The link below can be shared with friends and family.
Donating is easy!
- Enter your donation amount
- Under “Fund Destination” please ensure you select St. Gabriel
- Under “Tribute Information” please select “In honour of”
- Under “Honoree Name” indicate Student Name – Halloween Boogie-a-thon
- A tax receipt will be emailed directly to you.
The deadline for donations is Monday, November 2nd, 2020.
Costume Considerations for a Catholic School:
All students are encouraged to wear costumes. Students may decide not to wear a costume but may choose to wear black and orange as an alternative.
Costumes must not:
- Impair vision or breathing – therefore no masks
- Present a trip hazard to the wearer or the bystander
- Be too revealing or suggestive
- Include weapons or replica weapons
- Contain blood, guts, or gore of any kind
- Be inflatable
- Allow the student easy, independent access to the washroom. This is especially important for students from K to grade 2.
- Allow the student to wear sufficiently warm clothing over or under the costume as weather/temperature dictates for the outdoors
The following are suggested questions to reflect on when choosing a costume to avoid being disrespectful or offensive:
Is my costume making fun of a group of people, their culture or religion?
Does my costume reinforce jokes and stereotypes about certain groups, cultures, or religions?
Am I altering my skin color, facial/body features to make it darker or like a particular race, ethnicity, or cultural group?
Am I dressing up as a culture or borrowing from a religion that is not my own or is not part of my background?
Do I understand and respect the history or tradition of the culture that I am borrowing my costume from?
Despite the restrictions we are under due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we look forward to a fun and engaging Halloween Boogie-a-thon event. The monies raised will be put towards the purchase of more technology for our students. As always, we thank our families for their continued support during these unique times.