If your child is going to be absent from school, we kindly ask that a parent or guardian report your child’s absence using our SchoolMessenger® absence management system.
If an absence is not reported through SchoolMessenger® our school staff will follow up to ensure your child is safe by:
- Contacting home
- Contacting parents/guardians at work
- Contacting an emergency contact
- Contacting Halton Regional Police
If your child is sick:
- Please have your child stay at home. When students are sick, it is difficult to complete school work and they risk exposing other students to their illness.
- If students are too ill to go out at recess, then they are too ill to be at school. Please have them rest at home until they are better.
- Please remind your child that it is their responsibility to let their teacher know if they become ill or injured while at school.
Lunch Procedures – Leaving School Grounds
St. Francis of Assisi School recognizes that families may make the decision to allow their child to leave school grounds during the lunch hour without parent/guardian supervision. The most frequent example of this is families giving their child permission to go out for lunch to the Georgetown Marketplace mall.
Your child’s safety is a priority for St. Francis of Assisi School. In order to ensure clear lines of communication are followed and that your child’s location is accounted for, the following expectations and procedures have been established should your child wish to leave the school grounds for lunch:
- A note that is written and signed by a parent /guardian must be provided to your child’s classroom teacher for each day that your child’s routine is different that what usually occurs. For example, if you child wishes to go out for lunch but normally stays at school, we must receive a note that indicates that permission has been granted for your child to leave the school on that specific day. Your child then will come to the office and our administrative team will record their name in our lunch log book. This is done so that in the unlikely event of an emergency evacuation during the lunch hour we can account for your child’s location;
- If your child goes home for lunch every day, please let their classroom teacher know and we will record this routine in our office records. Again, we do this so that your child’s whereabouts during the lunch hour is concretely known should an emergency occur;
Regrettably, we cannot make and receive phone calls or emails to and from parents in lieu of a signed note from home. Please ensure that you and your child have organized and planned their lunch excursions prior to the day of.
Should your child not have permission to leave school grounds, and also not have a lunch with them, we will be able to supply them with some food to eat that day so they do not go hungry. This accommodation is provided through the support of our Halton Food For Thought program.