Principles of Parent Involvement and Engagement
Parents and Guardians have the right and responsibility to participate in the education of their children and can contribute to their child’s development in a number of ways. St. Francis of Assisi School values the advice given by our Catholic School Council with respect to learning opportunities for children and for improved operations within our schools. The Halton Catholic District School Board encourages parents to correspond and communicate with all members of the school board, such as Principals, Superintendents, and Trustees.
The Catholic Parent Involvement Committee (CPIC) is a group of parents, trustees and Board staff who actively support parent engagement and involvement throughout the Halton Catholic District School Board. You can learn more about Halton CPIC by clicking on logo to the right.
Special Education Advisory Committee (SEAC)
The Special Education Advisory Committee (SEAC) consists of members nominated by the local community associations and approved by the Board. The local associations have parental representatives who promote the interests and well-being of pupils with exceptional needs and abilities. SEAC’s mandate is to make recommendations to the Board in respect of any matter affecting the establishment and development of Special Education programs and services for students of the Board with exceptional needs.
The Special Education Advisory Committee provides updates to parents which are known as “SEAC Soundbytes”. These are monthly information articles developed by the committee to raise awareness of the Special Education process at HCDSB. You can find the most recent SEAC Soundbytes below:
Role of Catholic School Council and Relationship with Principal
The Catholic School Council shall be the official advisory group to the Principal. A Catholic School Council may make recommendations to the Principal of the school or to the board that established the council on any matter. (Ont. Reg. 612/00). The Principal shall respond to all advice advanced by the local Catholic School Council, under Ont. Reg. 612/00, and be reflected in the meeting minutes.
The Role of School Council Members
Members of a Catholic School Council are expected to:
- Actively seek the views of the school community: Continually seeking input from the school community is the only way councils can accurately formulate goals and expectations for the school that will meet community needs;
- Actively represent the views of the school community: School Councils have a responsibility to make the views of the school community known to the Principal, school board, and other education partners, where applicable;
- Inform the school community: School councils must keep the community well informed of the council’s roles, functions, projects and decisions (along with the reasons behind them);
- Involve the school community: The school council is expected to work to bring all partners into the education circle to ensure decisions reflect the interests of all children in the school;
Scheduled Meetings for the 2020 – 2021 Academic Year
- October 14, 2020
- December 7, 2020
- February 1, 2021
- April 12, 2021
- May 17, 2021
Due to COVID-19 restrictions, Catholic School Council meetings will be held virtually this year. All community members are encouraged to review the agenda and minutes that will be posted on our website.
2020 – 2021 Catholic School Council Members
In accordance with Ministry of Education Regulations, the following nominees have been acclaimed to a position on the St. Francis of Assisi Catholic School Council for the 2020 – 2021 school year:
- V. Santaguida – Co-Chair
- L. Machado – Co-Chair
- M. Paterson – Secretary
- Z. Sholdra – Ontario Association for Parents in Catholic Education Representative
- A. Dziedzic, K. Micalizzi, S. Byrne, L. Ferreira, J. De Oliveira – Parent Representatives
- TBD – Parish Representative
- TBD – Community Representative
- C. Reitzel – Teaching Staff Representative
- C. Nieuwendyk – Non-Teaching Staff Representative
- M. Witter – Principal
Contact the St. Francis of Assisi Catholic School Council
The co-chairs of the St. Francis of Assisi Catholic School Council can be contacted via email at: