Dear brothers and sisters, the “lenten” period of forty days spent by the Son of God in the desert of creation had the goal of making it once more that garden of communion with God that it was before original sin (cf. Mk 1:12-13; Is 51:3). May our Lent this year be a journey along that same path, bringing the hope of Christ also to creation, so that it may be “set free from its bondage to decay and obtain the glorious liberty of the children of God” (Rom 8:21). Let us not allow this season of grace to pass in vain! Let us ask God to help us set out on a path of true conversion. Let us leave behind our selfishness and self-absorption, and turn to Jesus’ Pasch. Let us stand beside our brothers and sisters in need, sharing our spiritual and material goods with them. In this way, by concretely welcoming Christ’s victory over sin and death into our lives, we will also radiate its transforming power to all of creation. – Pope Francis –
Chocolate Fundraiser update! Our sincerest thanks for the tremendous effort that our families placed into completing our recent chocolate sales fundraiser. The school has made a profit of approximately $8000.00 which will be added to our School Generated Funds account.
A portion of our fundraising proceeds has been allocated to construct a sun shelter in our school yard. However, we can always use the support of our school community for this project. If you or someone you know has access to building materials – wood, cement, fasteners, etc. – that can be donated to our project or provided at a discounted price, please contact Mr. Witter at the school;
Catholic Education Week 2019 will be celebrated from Monday, May 6, 2019 to Friday, May 10, 2019. This year’s theme is “Living as Joyful Disciples”. To learn more, please visit the following page: Catholic Education Week;
Holy Cross Parish invites all families to come together in prayer and celebrate Family Lenten Mass on Tuesday, March 26, 2019 beginning at 7:00pm at the church;
Vaping of any substance is not permitted within the school building, grounds or within 20 metres of the school property. Regrettably, vaping has become increasingly more common among youth and teenagers. The Smoke Free Ontario Act specifically does not permit:
- vaping of any substance (including medical cannabis) in any enclosed workplace, any enclosed public place (including schools) or any other places designated as vape-free in the Act;
- the sale and supply of vapour products to anyone under 19 years of age (including e-liquid as well as all associated components);
- vaping when a person under the age of 16 is in a motor vehicle; and
- those under the age of 19 to enter specialty vape stores;
To learn more about how to speak to your child about the dangers and consequences of vaping, please learn more here: How to talk to your child about Vaping;
Many families have enjoyed the lunch service of La Vita Bakery through our partnership with LunchBox Orders. Regrettably, La Vita Bakery has now closed. Boston Pizza will be the new lunch vendor on Fridays beginning the week of March 25, 2019. You can learn more about this change and how to order lunches through LunchBox Orders here: LunchBox Orders Menu Update
Upcoming events at our school:
- March 26 – Junior Battle of the Books
- March 27 – Senior Battle of the Books
- March 27 – Boys Basketball Tournament
- March 27 – Grade 2 students First Reconciliation Retreat @ Holy Cross Church
- March 28 – Girls Basketball Tournament
- March 29 – Hockey Tournament
- March 30 – Grade 2 students celebration of First Reconciliation @ Holy Cross Church
Our detailed event calendar for the week of March 25, 2019:
Every April, Autism Speaks and Autism Speaks Canada kick off World Autism Month beginning with United Nations sanctioned World Autism Awareness Day on April 2.
We are encouraging all students and staff members to wear blue on this day in support and recognition of people living with autism.