Advent prepares us for celebrating Christ’s coming in history; it calls us to consider his presence with us now in mystery, and his coming at the end of time in majesty. But what does this mean for us in our daily lives? When we think of the word “Advent”, perhaps it’s wreaths, candles, little sacrifices or special prayers that come to mind. It might also mean Christmas cards, shopping for gifts, and festive gatherings.
It’s helpful to remember that Advent is really about getting ready to receive God, who comes to us as a newborn baby, in the vulnerability of our human flesh. He is the long-awaited One whose presence brings the tranquility and order of peace.
A few updates for next week:
- Thank you to all families who joined us at the school this week for our Christmas Family Night. A great time was had by all! We are calculating the final totals, and will share the amount that was raised to support Holy Cross HELPS next week;
- The Public Health Agency of Canada has issued a Public Health Notice to avoid eating romaine lettuce due to a link with an E. coli outbreak. To continue to keep our community informed, we wanted to let you know that the school board has advised that all lettuce products, with the exception of Romaine and mixed greens with Romaine, are fine to be used in our salad bar program at this time;
- December 21, 2018 is the final day of school before Christmas Break. The school board has confirmed that this will be an early release day for students. St. Francis of Assisi students will be released 90 minutes early this day, dismissal time will be 2:10pm. Bus drop off times will be adjusted accordingly. Please ensure that your family has a plan in place for after school care for your child;
- LunchBox Orders has informed us that Swiss Chalet is unable to accommodate school orders for the next two weeks due to the fact that this is a high volume season for the restaurant. Therefore, in lieu of Swiss Chalet we will be offering Subway through LunchBox Orders on Thursday, December 13 and Thursday December 20;
- Monsignor Sheridan will join us at school on December 12, 2018 at 10:00am to celebrate Advent Mass with our students. Families members are welcome to join us;
Our calendar for the upcoming week: