This Advent, make yourself small, make yourself humble, make yourself a servant of others, and the Lord will give you the ability to understand how to make peace. – Pope Francis
Celebrating Advent as a Family
The circular shape of the wreath, without beginning or end, symbolizes God’s complete and unending love for us—a love that sent his Son into the world. It also represents eternal life which becomes ours through faith in Jesus Christ. The second Sunday of Advent, December 8th, symbolizes Faith and we light the second purple “Bethlehem Candle” reminding us of Mary and Joseph’s journey to Bethlehem. Read more about the Advent Wreath Tradition and Meaning (information taken from the Catholic Company).
Advent Food Drive
Mrs. Groulx’s gr. 4/5 class has organized another Advent initiative to support our families in need in the Burlington community. We have an Advent Food Drive beginning Monday, December 9 – Monday, December 16 to support the Burlington Food Bank. A red paper copy was sent home with youngest and only students on Friday with detailed information. All items can be dropped into our bins in the front foyer.
The items needed include:
sugar, oil, instant coffee, tea, canned fruit, canned vegetables, canned salmon/fish, cereal, rice, crackers, pancake mix, peanut butter, jam, granola bars, school snacks, juice, canned meat, cookies, toiletries, baby items.
Thank you for your generosity!
Thank you to Miss Jackie, staff and students for your preparation for our Christmas Musical this week. We are so proud of all your work and can’t wait to share our talent with our school community, families and friends this week.
Just a few reminders to ensure student attendance in preparation this week:
- Wednesday, December 11– All classrooms will be practicing in the gym on stage during the day.
- Thursday, December 12– Costumes are required for all cast and crew for the school dress rehearsal performances.
- Friday, December 13– Christmas Musical performances for ticket holders at 10 a.m. and 1:15 p.m. – we look forward to seeing you!
Winter is here!
Please ensure your child is dressed each day to play outside at recess. Students are outside for all regular outside activities when it is warmer than -15°C. When temperatures range between -15°C to -20°C, students may remain outside for no longer than 20-minute intervals, once temperatures are colder than -20°C students must remain inside.
Christmas Break – Early Dismissal Reminder
December 20, 2019 is the final day of school before Christmas Break. The school board has confirmed that this will be an early release day for students. St. Elizabeth Seton students will be released 90 minutes early this day, dismissal time will be 1:40 pm. Bus drop off times will be adjusted accordingly. Please ensure that your family has a plan in place for after school care for your child.
Promoting Well-Being – Free Ways to Enhance Your Well-Being
- The good news is health and wellness doesn’t discriminate and is available for all levels of income. The following suggestions are for anyone interested in strengthening one’s wellbeing—without weakening the wallet… we will highlight one of 12 ways in our updates:
Spending More Time Outside
- Although it may be a little more challenging to enjoy nature in the big city, one may be able to get the same benefits walking in a city park as walking the trials in the woods. Studies have suggested being outdoors enhances both physical and emotional wellbeing. Through exposure to sunlight (and the vitamin D that results) and fresh air to the cognitive benefits, choosing to walk outdoors, if possible, will influence health more than the treadmill.
- Research from the Peninsula College of Medicine and Dentistry reviewed studies comparing outdoor with indoor activity. The findings suggested that outdoor physical activity has a positive influence on depression, cognitive functioning, anxiety, and stress. The idea isn’t driving for miles to find a patch of grass but to just be outside. It’s free, it’s there, and we don’t have to worry about buying the special gear to enjoy it.
Follow us on Twitter @SetonSt
Upcoming Events and Activities at St. Elizabeth Seton
Classroom teachers have passes for interested students to attend the LEGO Club in the LLC at lunch time.