As the students begin to get excited about wearing their Halloween costumes for the Dance-a-thon, please take these suggestions into consideration when choosing a costume.
Halloween is a great time to dress up and have fun with costumes. In out Catholic education community, we want to promote respect, inclusion and empathy for all individuals. As students and parents select Halloween costumes, we encourage everyone to reflect critically, be mindful of cultural appropriation and create welcoming school environments for all. The following are suggested questions to reflect on when choosing a costume to avoid being disrespectful or offensive:
- Is my costume making fun or offensive towards a group of people, their culture or religion?
- Does my costume reinforce jokes and stereotypes about certain groups, cultures or religions?
- Am I altering my skin colour, facial/body features to make it darker or like a particular race, ethnicity, or cultural group?
- Am I dressing up as a culture of borrowing from a religion that is not my own or is not part of my background?
- Do I understand and respect the history or tradition of the culture that I am borrowing my costume from?
Thanks for your continued support
Gord McCarles | Principal