On Thursday, July 30, 2020, the Minister of Education announced that all elementary students (Kindergarten to Grade 8) will return to school in September, 2020.
This means in-class instruction with enhanced health and safety protocols.
Multiple strategies will be employed to ensure our schools are healthy and safe for students and staff, including:
- Self screening
- Adapted school environments
- Hand hygiene
- Students in Grade 4 to 8 will be required to wear non-medical or cloth masks while in school.
- Students in Kindergarten to Grade 3 will be encouraged but not required to wear masks in common spaces.
- Medical masks will be provided for teachers and all other school staff.
- Reasonable exceptions to the requirement will be put in place.
- Limiting visitors in schools
More information is available in the Ministry of Education’s Guide to reopening Ontario’s schools.
Option of Remote Learning
Parents and guardians will make decisions regarding in-person attendance for their children and will have the option of remote learning if they do not wish to send their child(ren) back to school in September. In August, we will be sending out an Intent to Return to School survey to all parents and guardians.
Our Goals As We Prepare to Transition Back to School
- Ensuring protocols are in place so that students and staff are healthy and safe.
- Providing an enhanced online/remote learning experience for students who continue to learn from home.
- Assessing student learning gaps and developing plans to provide appropriate intervention, where needed.
- Maintaining a focus on mental health supports for students and staff returning to school and those who will continue to learn and work from home.
In August, families and staff will be receiving additional details about the return to school plan.