St.Catherine of Alexandria School
Weekly Update for Oct.26-30
Give me strength to live another day;
Let me not turn coward before its difficulties or prove recreant to its duties;
Let me not lose faith in other people;
Keep me sweet and sound of heart, in spite of ingratitude, treachery, or meanness;
Preserve me from minding little stings or giving them;
Help me to keep my heart clean, and to live so honestly and fearlessly that no outward failure can dishearten me or take away the joy of conscious integrity;
Open wide the eyes of my soul that I may see good in all things;
Grant me this day some new vision of thy truth;
Inspire me with the spirit of joy and gladness;
and make me the cup of strength to suffering souls;
in the name of the strong Deliverer, our only Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.
- From Father Dave at Holy Cross Parish:
Despite protocols and restriction, things are busy at the
parish! We are ramping up for 1st Communions for our current
year Grade 3s that missed their celebrations last spring due to
the shut down. We’re offering a number of dates for these
young people this fall to receive the sacrament, and hope to
have everyone ‘caught up’ by the end of November. Current
year Grade 2s and Grade 7s will receive information soon as
they prepare to receive the sacraments in 2021.
- For Halloween this year, students will be able to come to school dressed in their costumes on Thursday,October 29 (rain date Friday, Oct.30). We will have Halloween inflatables at the back of the school and students will have the opportunity to show off their costumes and take part in a Spook-tac-ular Dance and have some fun outside with their class cohort during a designated time outside.
- The following are suggested questions to reflect on when choosing a costume to avoid being disrespectful or offensive:
- Is my costume making fun of a group of people, their culture or religion?
- Does my costume reinforce jokes and stereotypes about certain groups, cultures or religions?
- Am I altering my skin color, facial/body features to make it darker or like a particular race, ethnicity, or cultural group?
- Am I dressing up as a culture or borrowing from a religion that is not my own or is not part of my background?
- Do I understand and respect the history or tradition of the culture that I am borrowing my costume from?
- Parents/Guardians are asked to NOT send in ANY treats or any items such as Halloween erasers, pencils, or toys that would need to be distributed to students in the class. With Covid, it is just too complicated. We are trying to be extra cautious and not having students trade snacks or “treats” or even pencils and erasers could potentially pose a problem. We will be sure that the students have fun at school listening to music outside in their costumes. Thank you very much for respecting the health and safety of our students and staff.
Are. You. Ready? It’s almost contest time!
As many of you already know and those who don’t, our school has an ongoing fundraising initiative with FlipGive. This is a fantastic platform / app that is free to leverage for fundraising. The FlipGive app contributes a percentage of your purchase to be donated to our school (at no additional cost to you!!) if you have joined, thank you! If you haven’t had the chance this is the perfect time to sign up!
Use our invite code: LQYGH5 in one of two ways: 1. Download the free FlipGive app at the app store or2. Join us online at www.flipgive.com
We are thrilled that for the month of November we will be giving away $165 of prizes to two lucky winners.
Curious how to qualify? It’s easy, continue (or start) using FlipGive to purchase any of your normal items as you would online. Every time you use FlipGive for a purchase, whether it be a gift card or any regular purchase, you will automatically be entered into our draw. The more you use FlipGive and support our school and children the more entries you will receive. Every transaction qualifies as one entry. We will draw two winners the first week of December!
The two incredible prizes available to win are a $100 grocery gift card and a beautiful 6 foot double sided Welcome / Merry Christmas sign valued at $65.00. This sign was designed and crafted by Ronalds Roost Rustic Creations, a local business in Georgetown to show support to our school community.
If you are currently signed up as anonymous, you can also participate by remaining anonymous. If you are the winner, you will need to claim your prize by reaching out to us via email. (Example: If your name is Anonymous, we would announce “Anonymous with the raised amount of $x is the winner”, simply send us an email to claim your gift.)
November is typically the busiest online shopping month of the year. Perhaps you heard that due to Covid and the ongoing pandemic, Canada post has announced they are encouraging early Christmas shopping to guarantee packages are delivered on time. This year is unique no doubt, and so we wanted to provide the community an option to support the school at no additional cost to you. We encourage you to plan ahead in your shopping and to leverage Flipgive along the way.
We thank you in advance for your support, happy shopping!
St. Catherine of Alexandria thanks you for your continuous support.
If you have any questions please feel free to email
Kristina Lucic and Patrizia Boland at: FlipGiveSchoolCouncil@gmail.com