Thank you to our students, staff and families for your support and patience this week as we moved to teacher-led remote learning. We want to ensure students are engaged in their learning and continue to stay connected to their teachers and classmates throughout this remote learning period.
The relationship between home and school is key to your child’s success, and we are committed to keeping the lines of communication open. Please continue to reach out to your child’s teacher if you have any concerns about their learning. All staff emails are listed on our school website under Contacts → Staff Directory.
Remote Learning Tech Concerns
If you are having tech issues, please use the following to Contact our HCDSB Help Desk for Remote Learners
Change of Learning Environment (Virtual or In-Person)
This past week, you would have received the following information through email from Halton Catholic District School Board.
An online form to request a change to your child’s learning environment (i.e. virtual or in-person) is now open.
As you know, as per Ministry of Education direction, we have moved to remote learning for all students until at least January 17, 2022. Any requested changes will come into effect on January 24, 2022, however, if the Ministry of Education extends the remote learning period, the requested changes will come into effect once schools re-open for in-class instruction.
The Return to School Plan 2021-2022 indicated only one opportunity to request a change to the learning environment for elementary students (i.e. virtual learning to in-person learning or vice versa). The original timelines would have seen the requested changes come into effect as of Tuesday, February 22, 2022, and would have remained in effect until the end of the school year (June 2022).
Given the Province’s temporary move to Step 2 of the Roadmap to Reopening in order to help slow the spread of the COVID-19 Omicron variant, we have revised our plan to provide greater flexibility for families. We will now offer two (2) opportunities for families to request a change to learning environment for elementary students.
- The first opportunity to request a change in learning environment for elementary students is now available. The online request form will be open from Wednesday, January 5th until 11:59 p.m. on Friday, January 14th. The requested changes will come into effect on Monday, January 24, 2022, or once schools re-open for in-class instruction if the period of remote learning is extended.
IMPORTANT NOTES FOR FAMILIES REQUESTING A CHANGE TO THE VIRTUAL SCHOOL:
- If schools resume in-person instruction on January 17th, families who wish to keep their children home until the switch occurs on January 24th will be able to access asynchronous resources for their children through their current class on the D2L platform during the week of January 17-21.
- Parents/guardians requesting a change for their children to the virtual elementary school (St. Clare of Assisi Catholic Elementary Virtual School) will be asked to choose whether they want to keep their children enrolled in virtual learning until the final change in Learning Environment opportunity after Easter OR until the end of the school year.
- The final opportunity to request a change in learning environment for elementary students will be released after March Break. The requested changes will come into effect after Easter on Tuesday, April 19th.
Request to Change Learning Environment
If you wish to change your child’s learning environment by switching from in-class instruction to the virtual school, or vice versa, please complete the online request form below. Please complete this form ONLY if you would like to make a change to the learning environment that your child was in prior to the Christmas break. If you want your child to remain in the same learning format they were in before the break, no further action is required.
Important notes before you complete the online form:
- Please submit a separate form for each child.
- You will need your child’s Ontario Education Number (OEN) to submit this request. The OEN can be found on a recent report card.
- This online request form applies to elementary students ONLY. Requests for changes in the learning environment at the secondary school level should be sent directly to your child’s secondary school.
Once the online form has closed, our staff will begin to work through the rescheduling process.
- Parents and guardians will receive confirmation of the changes to their children’s learning environment by Wednesday, January 19th.
- The changes to your child’s learning environment will come into effect as of Monday, January 24, 2022, or once in-school instruction resumes, if it extends beyond January 24th.
- If in-class instruction resumes on January 17th, your child’s current placement (in-class or virtual) will continue to be in place for the week of January 17-21. Asynchronous instruction will be posted for students, should parents/guardians decide to keep their children home while awaiting the switch to the virtual school.
About the HCDSB Virtual Elementary School – St. Clare of Assisi Catholic Elementary School
- Read the Parent Handbook to gain a better understanding of the learning model offered at St. Clare of Assisi Catholic Elementary Virtual School.
- You may also visit the St. Clare of Assisi Catholic Elementary School website for more information.
My Life Online – Digital Citizenship Program
All students will be participating in the “My Life Online” program directed by teachers, starting the week of January 10th. The program focuses on digital citizenship curriculum and presentations to provide mentorship and guidance for students to thrive in today’s digital world. Lessons are targeted by grade and include tips and ideas for parents as well, which can be accessed on the website.
Health and Phys. Ed Parent/Guardian Remote Learning Information and Checklist
Earlier this week, parents were sent a Health and Physical Education information sheet and checklist for your child(ren) before and while they participate virtually. If you haven’t yet had an opportunity to review this checklist, please click on the document below.
Kindergarten Registration takes place online. Please share this information with others in the community. Please complete the online registration as soon as possible. This allows our office staff time to be prepared for part 2 of the registration process. For all the details visit: HCDSB Kindergarten Registration Due to the extension of the remote learning period, Part 2 of the registration process will be rescheduled after schools reopen for in-person learning.