(copy of email to all families sent Monday March 31, 2020)
We hope that you are healthy and safe as you are reading this message from your St. Brigid family. We keep hearing on the news of these “unprecedented” times. I know this word is so frequently used; however, it is so very true. This is new to all of us and we are working hard together to create teaching and learning conditions that will lead to successful completion of the year given the unique circumstances in which we find ourselves.
Please see some important updates below:
- The ministry released the Learn at Home portal on March 20th and this is accessible through the link on our school website. These resources are intended to provide content while teachers work to create their own Virtual Learning Environments (VLE) which will be fully functioning by Monday April 6th.
- All educators will have contacted families, by the end of today, to share information about their V.L.E. format (i.e., D2L Brightspace, Google or Microsoft). Please check your emails and voicemails. Teachers have been provided with the information that we have on file. Unique login and password information will be sent individually once contact has been established.
- Teachers are creating content that is unique to their classroom and grade that can be accessed by students at home. There are no specific times that are mandated for students to be online. This should allow for some flexibility for families who are sharing devices. If you need support with an additional device, please inform the teacher or feel free to reach out to administration. Similarly, any student who has a laptop and/or device provided through the ministry via special education funding can contact their teacher or SERT. Schools are still closed to staff and students; however, when we are afforded access we will make a plan to share devices for those who are in need.
- At this time, student work is not being assessed. We are working towards this and we await further guidelines from the Ministry of Education to support us in this process.
- All regular means of contact and social media will continue at this time. You can continue to follow us on Twitter @StBrigidHCDSB and check our St. Brigid Website and we will continue to email families via our School Messenger application.
Please know that there are supports available for any family in need. I have attached a flyer for R.O.C.K. (Reach Out Center for Kids) for access to crisis counselling. As well, attached is a joint communication from Halton Food4Thought/Food For Life/Food for Kids in addition to this link which provides information about where to access food in Halton.
Our board charity Halton Catholic Children’s Education Fund (HCCEF) also supports families in financial need. Please reach out directly to me via the email address below to access this support. I can also reach out via telephone if you would like to discuss your situation.
Claire Lanois, Principal firstname.lastname@example.org
Genevieve Butt, Vice Principal email@example.com