St Brigid Weekly Update – Week of August 26, 2019
A warm welcome to all our new and returning students and their families! Each week a St. Brigid Weekly Update is posted on our school website: St. Brigid School. Bookmark the link and visit often! The update provides parents with a brief summary of the week and information for the upcoming school week. We will send a link weekly through School Messenger to support easy access. Please ensure that we have your accurate email address by reviewing the information form you will receive during the first week of school.
Please take some time to carefully review the following information:
Our school hours for the 2019 – 2020 school year: 9:00 a.m. – 3:30 p.m. Supervision begins at 8:45 a.m.. We will see all our grade one through grade eight students on the first day of school, Tuesday, September 3, 2019!
First Day Procedures
Our first day is Tuesday September 3, 2019 for Grades 1-8. For this day ONLY, parents are welcome to come on to the playground.
- Grades One to Four will gather in the gymnasium. Classroom teachers will have a sign with their name and the grade on it.
- Grades Five to Eight students will go directly to their portable or classroom as listed on the class placement portal. Rooms that are numbered in 100s are on the main floor. 200s are on the second floor. We have thirteen portables – portables 1 to 6 are on the west side (i.e., adjacent Kiss n Ride parking lot). Portables 7 to 12 are in the south end (i.e., behind the playground/blacktop) and portable 13 is on the east side of the yard.
- Year 2 Kindergarten students begin school on Thursday, September 5, 2019. Year 1 Kindergarten begins after student/parent interviews. Please contact the school if you require additional information.
Y.M.C.A. Before/After School Programs
Parents please note that although we work in partnership with the Y.M.C.A., this is a third-party provider. Absences from the program need to be communicated directly to the Y.M.C.A. office to ensure the safety of your child. Do not call the school office to report absences for the before and after program. For the first day of school, be sure to provide your classroom teacher with information regarding routines for dismissal.
Halton Student Transportation Services https://www.haltonbus.ca/ coordinates transportation for all eligible students. To learn about your child’s transportation information you will require their Ontario Education Number (OEN). Visit https://www.haltonbus.ca/student-transportation-schedules/ to look up your child’s transportation information.
Please visit the site for specific inquiries and information related to transportation. A starting point may be: Elementary Information If you are seeking a courtesy seat, please review the information at: https://www.haltonbus.ca/courtesy-seats/
Parents, please sign up for updates, review safety procedures with your children for riding the bus and rehearse your routines for pick up and drop off. Please note that all students travelling on the bus home will receive a bus tag indicating their route on the first day of school AND students will be sent home on the bus. Please send a written note if your child will not take the bus home on the first day of school. If your child is eligible for transportation and will not be using the transportation, it is your responsibility to notify HSTS on the website.
In order for school staff to provide a safe environment for all students with medical conditions, parents, students and staff must work together! If your child has a medical condition (anaphylaxis, asthma, diabetes, epilepsy, sickle cell, heart condition, other) or requires prescription or non-prescription medication to be administered during the school day, you MUST review the appropriate Parent/Guardian package and complete all required forms. To act in the best interests of your child, please complete the required paperwork and provide required medication, as appropriate, as soon as possible, preferably prior to the first day of school. Students returning to St. Brigid School received packages in June. If you require a copy of these packages, please call the main office at 905-877-1779.
Arrival, Entry, Dismissal, Pick Up & Parking Lot Expectations
Walking, biking and taking the bus are the preferred methods of arriving and departing from school. With the exception of the first day of school, parents are not permitted in the school yard. We appreciate that many of you prefer to drop your child(ren) off and pick your children up from school. Please note that parking is very limited in our school parking lot, and, please pay attention to the signs on the street. Your assistance and co-operation with morning drop off and evening pick up is essential to ensuring the safety of all our students and staff members who are on duty. Please note the following:
- Supervision begins at 8:45 a.m. The warning bell rings at 8:57 a.m. and students proceed to their lines. At 9:00 a.m. a second bell rings and students are greeted by staff and enter the school. Students should not arrive prior to 8:45 a.m.
- All students arriving on a bus are greeted and supervised by staff. Kindergarten students are gathered and escorted to the kindergarten playground by an adult.
- Kindergarten students enter the kindergarten yard at their designated gate. ALL other students enter the school/portables from the playground entrances.
- On inclement weather days, students should enter the school at their regular playground doors/portable from the school yard beginning at 8:45 a.m. Staff will be on duty at the doors, in the hallways, in the classrooms within the school and in the portables.
- School buses and care provider vans are the ONLY vehicles permitted in the front lane of the school for morning drop off and evening pick up. All other vehicles MUST flow through the Kiss ‘n Ride lane. For a map showing traffic flow visit: Kiss ‘n Ride Map
- SCHOOL BUSES MUST BE GIVEN RIGHT OF WAY – Your co-operation is appreciated. This expedites traffic flow for everyone.
- Park in designated parking spaces ONLY; do not park in painted yellow areas.
- We strongly encourage parents to use the Kiss ‘n Ride lane, rather than parking, to facilitate traffic flow as much as possible. Staff is on hand to greet your child/children and help them out onto the sidewalk and monitor their entry into the school yard; please remain in your vehicle and ensure students exit at the sidewalk.
- Kindergarten students may be dropped off at Kiss ‘n Ride. Staff on duty will ask students to wait together and the group will then be escorted to the Kindergarten playground. Please inform staff that your child is in kindergarten.
- Parents who drop off at our primary yard gate adjacent to the Kiss ‘n Ride lane, we would appreciate your support and cooperation with leaving a clear pathway along the sidewalk and the opening into the schoolyard. This allows students the right of way and assists staff on duty with monitoring student entry into the yard.
- When walking, please use the sidewalks and walkways. Parents and students crossing in front of buses and cars and through traffic is dangerous. Students copy this behavior, which puts students at risk. Please model safe behaviours.
- PLEASE DRIVE SLOWLY! Be extra cautious on inclement weather days! Umbrellas, hoods and driving rain and snow reduce students’ vision and ability to see what is going on around them!
- Dogs are not permitted on school property at any time. We have several students diagnosed with anaphylaxis to dogs.
By working together, we can ensure that everyone is safe! Thanks for your support and co-operation!
Enjoy this beautiful Labour Day weekend!
Mrs. Lanois Mrs. Butt