St Brigid Weekly Update – Week of March 4, 2019
Thank you for your participation in Pink T Shirt Day on February 28, 2019! Our grade 8 students demonstrated excellent leadership skills through their work with all classes at St. Brigid School. We will continue to work together to stop bullying by celebrating diversity and promoting positive social relationships! We will continue to each other that Jesus accepted and valued everyone.
The Gospel Value for the month of March is kindness. As we celebrate this Gospel value, we remember that God wants us to give generously to others around us. A kind person gives their time to others and stands by their friends in times of need. A kind person is polite and cares about the feelings of others. A kind person shares with their friends. Let us ask God to give us the virtue of kindness so that everyone we meet will feel like we are looking out for their good.
This week we begin our Lenten Journey with Shrove Tuesday followed by a liturgy on Ash Wednesday. Lent begins on Ash Wednesday and lasts until sundown on Holy Thursday. The season of Lent is a period of 40 days in which we prepare for Easter. This preparation involves prayer, fasting and almsgiving and helps us to remain faithful to our baptismal promises.
It is a tradition at St. Brigid School that our Catholic School Council and parent volunteers make pancakes for our school community on Shrove Tuesday. Volunteers are welcome! Let Mrs. Woodrow know by calling the school. Also, parents of students with food allergies, please ensure that you review the letter sent via School Messenger and posted on our website regarding the food served on Shrove Tuesday.
On Wednesday, Father Dave Walter will visit St. Brigid School for a liturgy on Ash Wednesday. We will receive ashes on our foreheads to remind us, “”Repent, and believe in the Gospel”!
The grade 7 and 8 students at St. Brigid Catholic Elementary School will be participating in the Halton Catholic Children’s Education Foundation (HCCEF) 24 Hour Fast on March 7th to March 8th. Instead of fasting from food, students will be fasting from all technology. In preparation for the season of Lent, we will be raising funds for HCDSB students and families in need. There is a great need in Halton to help students – 10.5% of Halton children live in low-income households. Amazingly that’s about 3600 HCDSB students. Please be generous and support grade 7/8 students at St. Brigid School for the HCCEF 24 Hour Fast. Donations should be made through School Cash Online by March 6, 2019. All donations will be going to the Halton Catholic Children’s Education Foundation. Teachers and families are also invited to join the 24 Hour Fast as well. Thank you for your continued support!
March Break – March 11 to March 15
Grad Photos for Grade 8 Students – March 19th
Lenten Family Mass at Holy Cross Church – March 26
Information & Reminders for the upcoming week:
Monday, March 4, 2019
- Grade 8 IPRCs & Transition Meetings – All Day
- Grade 7 Students to CTK for Musical (Rescheduled due to snow day)
- Basketball Games – after school
Tuesday, March 5, 2019
- SHROVE TUESDAY
- BRAVO for Grade 6 Classes
- 9:50 – 10:30 am Mr. Lavender’s Class
- 10:30 – 11:10 am Mr. Cerisano’s Class
- 11:25 – 12:05 pm Ms. Annese’s Class
- 1:05 – 1:45 pm Ms. Vella’s Class
Wednesday, March 6, 2019
- Ash Wednesday – Father Dave Walter will visit St. Brigid
- Liturgy in the Gym for Grades 2 through 8 at 10:00 a.m.; Ashes will be distributed in classrooms for Kindergarten and Grade One, Gospel Value Awards & See the Problem, Be the Solution – Sharing & Recognition
Thursday, March 7, 2019
- St. John Therapy Dogs, Trish & Lacey– 10:30 am – 11:30 am Forum
- Grade 2 Field Trip to Mountsberg Conservation Area – 9:00 am – 12:30 pm (Students to eat a big breakfast and bring lunch!)
- Grade 7 & Grade 8 – 24 hour Fast in support of Halton Catholic Children’s Education Fund
Friday, March 8, 2019
- Grade 7 & Grade 8 24 hour Fast in support of Halton Catholic Children’s Education Fund
Enjoy the week! Enjoy the March Break!
Mrs. Lanois Mrs. Miller