“Help one another. This is what Jesus teaches us. This is what I do and I do it with my heart.”Pope Francis
Remote Learning Update
Remote learning will be provided for all students in accordance with PPM 164: Requirements for Remote Learning, which provides specific expectations around synchronous learning. Learn more: https://learnathome.hcdsb.org/return-to-school-2/remote-learning/.
The following links and documents provide some guidelines for parents and students to help ensure safe and effective live online learning:
- Learning at Home – Live Online Learning Tips for Parents
- Learning at Home – Live Online Learning Tips Students
- Policy No. I-43 and Procedure No. VI-62
Access to Your Child’s Learning Platform:
Technology Support for Students
Having Tech Issues? Contact our HCDSB Help Desk for Remote Learners
Reporting students’ absences: Although we have made the switch to Teacher-led Remote Learning, we are still mandated by the ministry to continue tracking students’ attendance. Attendance will be taken twice daily: once in the morning and again after lunch. If your child is away, please promptly report the absence through the Safe Arrival Program. If your child is away for multiple days, please contact your child’s teacher to ensure that there is a plan for missed work. We will be following our usual process of contacting parents and guardians when student absences are not reported. Thank you for your continued support and partnership. Now, more than ever, ongoing communication between home and school is key to your child’s success and well-being.
The Kernels Popcorn Program: Session 1 will resume for the final two weeks of the session when we return.
Health and Physical Education Parent/Guardian Remote Learning Information and Checklist: Please check out the checklist for Health and Physical education for your children before and while they participate virtually. This checklist is also posted on your child’s class platform.
Below are a list of supports for families to access during this difficult time:
- KidsHelpPhone.ca for 24/7 support.
Questions & Answers- COVID-19- My child’s wellbeing: https://smho-smso.ca/covid-19/parents-and-families/12
Follow us on Twitter @StBeneHCDSB
UPDATED COVID-19 Safety Measures
For the safety and well-being of all students and staff, parents and guardians must perform daily screening of their child(ren) for COVID-19 symptoms BEFORE leaving for school using the COVID-19 Self-Assessment.
- Check your child’s temperature to ensure they do not have a fever (temperature greater than 37.8C)
- Monitor for signs and symptoms (including atypical symptoms) of COVID-19
- Individuals experiencing symptoms consistent with COVID-19 as identified in the screening tool, must not attend school and should follow the guidance provided in the screening tool
The Government of Ontario daily self-screening tool can be accessed here: https://covid-19.ontario.ca/school-screening/
St. Benedict Parish Update
We are praying for all of you for safety and patience as we struggle through another period of uncertainty and issues. To keep up-to-date with all that is happening at the parish, check out our St. Benedict Parish website. https://stbenedictparish.ca
Virtual Children’s Liturgy January 9, 2022
Change of Learning Environment
Given the Province’s temporary move to Step 2 of the Roadmap to Reopening in order to help slow the spread of the COVID-19 Omicron variant, we have revised our plan to provide greater flexibility for families. We will now offer two (2) opportunities for families to request a change to learning environment for elementary students.
- The first opportunity to request a change in learning environment for elementary students is now available. The online request form will be open from Wednesday, January 5th until 11:59 p.m. on Friday, January 14th. The requested changes will come into effect on Monday, January 24, 2022, or once schools re-open for in-class instruction if the period of remote learning is extended.
IMPORTANT NOTES FOR FAMILIES REQUESTING A CHANGE TO THE VIRTUAL SCHOOL:
- If schools resume in-person instruction on January 17th, families who wish to keep their children home until the switch occurs on January 24th will be able to access asynchronous resources for their children through their current class on the D2L platform during the week of January 17-21.
- Parents/guardians requesting a change for their children to the virtual elementary school (St. Clare of Assisi Catholic Elementary Virtual School) will be asked to choose whether they want to keep their children enrolled in virtual learning until the final change in Learning Environment opportunity after Easter OR until the end of the school year.
- The final opportunity to request a change in learning environment for elementary students will be released after March Break. The requested changes will come into effect after Easter on Tuesday, April 19th.
Request to Change Learning Environment
If you wish to change your child’s learning environment by switching from in-class instruction to the virtual school, or vice versa, please complete the online request form below. Please complete this form ONLY if you would like to make a change to the learning environment that your child was in prior to the Christmas break. If you want your child to remain in the same learning format they were in before the break, no further action is required.
Important notes before you complete the online form:
- Please submit a separate form for each child.
- You will need your child’s Ontario Education Number (OEN) to submit this request. The OEN can be found on a recent report card.
- This online request form applies to elementary students ONLY. Requests for changes in the learning environment at the secondary school level should be sent directly to your child’s secondary school.
Once the online form has closed, our staff will begin to work through the rescheduling process.
- Parents and guardians will receive confirmation of the changes to their children’s learning environment by Wednesday, January 19th.
- The changes to your child’s learning environment will come into effect as of Monday, January 24, 2022, or once in-school instruction resumes, if it extends beyond January 24th.
- If in-class instruction resumes on January 17th, your child’s current placement (in-class or virtual) will continue to be in place for the week of January 17-21. Asynchronous instruction will be posted for students, should parents/guardians decide to keep their children home while awaiting the switch to the virtual school.
About the HCDSB Virtual Elementary School – St. Clare of Assisi Catholic Elementary School
- Read the Parent Handbook to gain a better understanding of the learning model offered at St. Clare of Assisi Catholic Elementary Virtual School.
- You may also visit the St. Clare of Assisi Catholic Elementary School website for more information.
Register Your Child for Kindergarten!
Kindergarten is an exciting milestone for your child and for your family! Our school offers a full-day, 2-year Kindergarten program, designed to engage curious early learners through different kinds of play, that help children learn how to reason and problem-solve as they interact with one another.
To register your child to begin Junior Kindergarten (Year 1) in September, 2022, your child must be four years old by December 31, 2022. Children enrolled in Senior Kindergarten (Year 2) must be five years old by December 31, 2022.
For more information, including a link to register your child, please click here.
Family Literacy Day January 27
Family Literacy Day takes place every January 27th to raise awareness about the importance of reading and engaging in literacy activities as a family.
St. Benedict Spirit Days
2021-2022 Board School Year Calendar: Please Click Here
Looking for a Weekly Update from previous weeks? – please see our homepage > “News” tab to access weekly updates. For further updates and school announcements, please also follow us on
Twitter – @StBeneHCDSB