Dear Parents and Guardians:
This week is Bullying Prevention and Awareness Week.
Ontario has designated the week beginning on the third Sunday of November as Bullying Awareness and Prevention Week to help promote safe schools and a positive learning environment.
During Bullying Awareness and Prevention Week – November 15-21, 2020 – Ontario students, school staff and parents are encouraged to learn more about bullying and its effect on student learning and well-being.
Bullying is defined as a form of repeated, persistent and aggressive behaviour directed at an individual or individuals that is intended to cause (or should be known to cause) fear and distress and/or harm to another person’s body, feelings, self-esteem or reputation. Bullying occurs in a context where there is a real or perceived power imbalance.
Schools are encouraged to use this opportunity to explain the different forms bullying can take. These include:
- Physical – hitting, shoving, stealing or damaging property
- Verbal – name calling, mocking, or making sexist, racist or homophobic comments
- Social – excluding others from a group or spreading gossip or rumours about them
- Electronic (commonly known as cyberbullying) – spreading rumours and hurtful comments through the use of cellphones, e-mail, text messaging and through social media.
Please spend some time this week discussing bullying prevention with your children, stressing the importance of seeking assistance if and when they see any signs of bullying.
Kiss and Ride
Please ensure when dropping students off using the Kiss n Ride lanes that students exit the car on the passenger side to ensure their safety. Parents should not be exiting the cars in the drop-off lanes. If you need to escort your child to the gate, please park in a designated parking spot. Please remind students to cross roadways at designated cross walks and to look all ways.
The Ontario Catholic School Graduate Expectations (OCSGEs) were developed to provide a framework to represent the distinctiveness and purpose of Catholic education in Ontario. Beginning this month, classroom teachers will be recognizing one student who exemplifies one of these with a medallion. The focus of each month is as follows:
- November: I am a believer
- December: I have a voice
- January: I have ideas
- February: I am a learner for Life
- March: I am a team player
- April: I care
- May: I have responsibilities
On November 11th, we honour those who lost their lives serving our country. A virtual liturgy led by our grade 4’s will be celebrated this morning at 11:00 AM.
We will be holding Parent-Teacher Interviews on Thursday, November 26th from 4:00 – 8:30 pm and Friday, November 27th from 9:15 am – 3:30 pm. This year, you will be able to schedule your Parent-Teacher Interviews online. If you wish to schedule a meeting with any of your child’s teachers, please follow the instructions printed further down the page.
You will be able to make appointments from November 9th at 8:00 am until November 15th at 8:00 pm.
1. Go to the St. Anthony of Padua scheduling webpage at https://stap.parentinterview.com
2. Enter the Parent Code (printed below) and click “Sign In”.
Please make a note of your Confirmation #
3. Fill in your contact information and click “Continue to Make Appointments”.
4. Click on the name of a teacher with whom you wish to schedule an appointment.
5. Click on “Available” for a time at which you wish to meet to have your meeting.
6. Repeat Steps 4 and 5 until you have scheduled all the teachers you wish to meet.
7. Click on “My Schedule” (top left of the page).
8. Print out, email or copy down your schedule and bring it with you.
The Parent Code for this term is padua2020
Do not share this code with anyone outside your school community.
Should you wish to delete an appointment you have made, click on “Delete” beside the meeting you wish to have removed from your schedule.
If you misplace your schedule, you may use your Confirmation # to retrieve your schedule from the website at any time. If you need help using the service, please email email@example.com.
If you do not have access to the internet at home or in the workplace, please call parentInterview toll-free at 1-866-810-0076, and someone will be happy to make your appointments with you.
Health Tip of the Week:
Please continue to use the daily Self-Assessment. When on school property before and after school, parents and students should be wearing masks as social distancing cannot be guaranteed.
Your Partners in Catholic Education,
G. Giacalone, E. Scannell, D. Owens