“God does not give us everything we want, but He does fulfill His promises, leading us along the best and straightest paths to Himself.” –Dietrich Bonhoeffer
As per the notification provided to you by the HCDSB, in the event of a full withdrawal of services by CUPE, schools will be closed to students on Monday, October 7th, and for the duration of the strike.
If the CUPE strike proceeds and we have to close our schools to students, we will notify you in the following ways:
- An email will be sent to all HCDSB parents
- A notice will be posted on our HCDSB website – bit.ly/HCDSB-LabourUpdates
- A notice will be shared through Twitter @HCDSB
If the CUPE strike proceeds,
- All HCDSB schools will be CLOSED to students on Monday, October 7, 2019 and for the duration of the strike.
- All Before & After School programs will be CANCELLED.
- Childcare centres will remain OPEN as they run independently from our schools.
- Community use of schools will be CANCELLED in all schools maintained by CUPE custodial staff.
- All non-CUPE staff will continue to report to work in schools and our administrative offices.
- Advanced polling stations will not be affected by this closure.
We are hopeful that a new provincial agreement will soon be reached with our CUPE education workers.
If labour negotiations are settled and schools are open for students, please note the following information items for this week:
Thanksgiving Toiletry Drive:
SAOP School will be collecting items such as toothbrushes, toothpaste, shampoo, conditioner, and soap from Monday, October 5 to Thursday, October 10. Thank you in advance for supporting our local foodbank.
On October 9th, there is a parent meeting at 7:00 PM at Holy Rosary Church for the parents of students in Grade 2 who will be receiving the Sacraments of Reconciliation and Eucharist for the first time this year. This meeting will take place regardless of any strike action.
Father John and a number of priests will be at the school on Thursday, October 10th to celebrate the Sacrament of Reconciliation with students in Grades 3, 5, and 7.
Catholic School Council:
The inaugural meeting for the year will take place Monday, October 7th at 7:30 PM in the library. All parents are welcome.
As per the Board notification that was sent to parents, the Cross Country meet scheduled for October 9th will be postponed until April. More information will come out closer to that date.
Friday, October 11th is a PA Day for students. Staff will be participating in our annual Faith Day.
Please have a safe and restful day with your families.
For all up-coming events, please refer to the calendar:
Halton Food for Thought is providing each student with an apple to promote healthy eating.
SAOP will be hosting a Halloween Dance during the day. Classes will be called to the gym for their dance time. A schedule will be posted closer to the date. Students are permitted to wear costumes on this day. Please ensure that costumes reflect our Catholic values, follow the board dress code and are respectful of human life. Masks, accessories and weapons should not be brought to school as they will be confiscated and returned at the end of the day.
FDK, Grades 1-5: 9:30 AM
Grades 6-8: 10:30 AM
Your partners in Catholic Education,
G. Giacalone, L. MacLennan, D. Owens