Halloween is a great time to dress up and have fun with costumes. In our Catholic education community, we want to promote respect, inclusion, and empathy for all individuals. As students select Halloween costumes, we encourage everyone to reflect critically, be mindful of cultural appropriation and create welcoming school environments for all.
The following are suggested questions to reflect on when choosing a costume to avoid being disrespectful or offensive:
- Is my costume making fun of a group of people, their culture or religion?
- Does my costume reinforce jokes and stereotypes about certain groups, cultures or rlegions?
- Am I altering my skin colour, facial/body features to make it darker or like a particular race, ethnicity, or cultural group?
- Am I dressing up as a culture or borrowing from a religion that is not my own or is not part of my background?
- Do I understand and respect the history or tradition of the culture that I am borrowing my costume from ?
Please remember that this Halloween while in school, students still need to wear a face mask for COVID-19 purposes.
If you have specific questions about the day or the costumes, please connect with your child’s teacher.