Every thought you produce, anything you say, any action you do, it bears your signature. ~Thich Nhat Hanh
Water Bottles and Cutlery
We would like to appeal to all of our families to do your very best to remember to send your kids to school with their own water bottles and cutlery to eat their lunches with. We are giving out dozens of spoons, forks, and cups a day. Aside from this being very, very bad for the environment, it is also expensive, and we would rather see these funds go to programming and events for our students. If you order The Lunch Lady for your children on Wednesdays, please remember that The Lunch Lady does not provide cutlery. Also, all of our water fountains are closed, so students require a cup if they are thirsty and want water. A water bottle saves greatly on this expense.
Progress Reports and Kindergarten Communication of Larning
At the Halton Catholic District School Board, school communities exist to foster and exemplify Catholic values. Educational programs, facilitated in the context of faith, promote the intellectual, physical, social and spiritual development of students. On November 24, 2021 the Progress Reports for Grades 1 – 8, and Kindergarten Communication of Learning: Initial Observations, will be sent home electronically to all families. Please click here to learn more about the reporting process.
Parents / Guardians have the right and responsibility to participate actively in your child’s education. As such, interviews with your child’s teacher(s) will be offered Thursday, November 25, 2021 during the afternoon/evening, and Friday, November 26, 2021 during the school day as this is designated Professional Development Day.
In order to adhere to our safety protocols, interviews will be scheduled using an online scheduling program to limit the use of paper. Communication with a link and information on how to schedule your interviews will be emailed to you before the scheduling process opens on Monday afternoon. Please complete the online interview request form by Friday, November 19th, 11:00 AM.
Scheduling Your Learning Conferences
We will be holding Parent-Teacher Interviews on Thursday, November 25th from 3:50 – 8:20 PM and Friday, November 26th from 9:00 am – 2:30 PM. This year, you will be able to schedule your Parent-Teacher Interviews online. If you wish to schedule a meeting with any of your child’s teachers, please follow the instructions printed further down the page.
1. Go to the St. Andrew scheduling webpage at https://standrew.parentinterview.com
2. Enter the Parent Code andy2021 and click “Sign In“
Please make a note of your Confirmation #
3. Fill in your contact information and click “Continue to Make Appointments“
4. Click on the name of a teacher with whom you wish to schedule an appointment
5. Click on “Available” for a time at which you wish to meet to have your meeting
6. Repeat Steps 4 and 5 until you have scheduled all the teachers you wish to meet
7. Click on “My Schedule” (top left of the page)
8. Print out, email or copy down your schedule and bring it with you
Should you wish to delete an appointment you have made, click on “Delete” beside the meeting you wish to have removed from your schedule.
If you misplace your schedule, you may use your Confirmation # to retrieve your schedule from the website at any time. If you need help using the service, please email email@example.com
Appointments must be booked by November 19, 2021. If you have not booked an appointment to speak with your child’s teacher, one will be booked for you.
Thank you to the Grade 3 students in Mrs. Colontino’s class for the wonderful Remembrance Day Liturgy. We also want to thank all of our families for the many donations for poppies. We were able to give the royal Canadian Legion over $450 on behalf of the St. Andrew School Community.
Catholic School Council Meeting
Our next Catholic School Council Meeting will be taking place on Wednesday, November 17th at 6:30 PM via a Virtual Teams Meeting. If you would like to attend, please email firstname.lastname@example.org for a link to the meeting. ALL ARE WELCOME!
Photo Make Up Day
The photographers from Edge Imagining will be returning to St. Andrew School on Thursday, November 18ths. If your child missed our photo days for any reason, they can have their photos taken this Thursday.
Conquest and Challenge Program
Conquest and Challenge is a faith-centered youth program that is for boys (Conquest) and girls (Challenge) in grades 5 to 8.
The program is led by teens in high school and supervised by adult volunteers.
These programs support parents in the Christian formation of their children and help them get to know their Catholic faith.
Unfortunately due to COVID, we had to abruptly stop our Conquest and Challenge meetings that used to take place every other Friday at St. Andrew’s.
The good news is that we are starting up again in January 2022.
In preparation for this, we are hosting an open house at 6:30 PM on Friday, November 18th. For more information see:
St. Vincent de Paul Angel Tree
Like last year, the major Christmas giving event for our school will be the Society of Saint Vincent de Paul (SSVP). The SSVP at Mary Mother of God currently serves 105 families in need, including 150 children, who live within our parish boundary.
This Christmas more than ever our most vulnerable neighbours are in need. Together we can make a big difference by sharing our Christmas to bring some joy into their homes. For many of these families, your donation may be the only gift they receive.
We are asking the students and families to support these neighbours by:
- Donating Online through CanadaHelps:
• Monetary donations will be used to bulk purchase Wal-Mart gift cards for the families.
• Please consider the following gifts:
- Colour your Angel for the Angel Tree: Have your child colour it and bring it to school to put on the Angel Christmas Tree that is on display in the lobby.
- Pray: Please add a special daily prayer of protection for all of the families SSVP serves.
Mary Mother of God, be their protector and defender. Bring their needs before our Father and give them the grace to conquer every danger and overcome all that would threaten their health and well-being. Amen.
The SSVP donations will be gratefully received from Monday, November 22nd to Friday to Friday, December 10th.
The generous support of our school communities allows us to ensure that the families can all enjoy a special day and meal on Christmas day. For more information, please visit the SSVP webpage on the church website:(https://mmogp.ca/society-of-st-vincent-de-paul).
Society of Saint Vincent de Paul (SSVP), Mary Mother of God Parish
Keeping Christ in Christmas
With Christmas just around the corner, the Halton Catholic District School Board (HCDSB) will once again be running its annual Keeping Christ in Christmas student contest! This year, the contest will be open for entries from Friday, November 5 through Friday, December 3, 2021.
Students are encouraged to submit entries that highlight the theme of the contest, and express in their own creativity how we can all do our part to Keep Christ in Christmas. We welcome entries from HCDSB students of all ages and abilities!
Students may submit entries electronically in the following four (4) categories:
- Visual artwork (drawing, painting, photography, collage, sculpture, 3D model, etc.)
- Original song
- Short video (maximum length is 3 minutes)
- Short story or poem (up to 250 words)
Learn more here: Keeping Christ in Christmas Contest
- We know that families may be eager to travel and visit family. While we certainly understand, please note that you will need to complete an Extended Absence Form (available from the office) and that any absence longer than 15 consecutive days may result in your child being demitted from our register and having to re-enroll upon your return.
- Families should also consider any quarantine requirements when planning for their children to be absent from school.
- While educators are happy to help support student learning, please note that they are not required to provide your child with work for the length of the absence.
The Ontario Association of Parents in Catholic Education (OAPCE) is hosting a free series of webinars for parents and guardians. The first one is on Saturday, November 20. To register, please see the link on their webpage here: https://www.oapce.org/
Bullying Awareness Prevention Week
Ontario has designated the week beginning on the third Sunday of November as Bullying Awareness and Prevention Week to help promote safe schools and a positive learning environment.
During Bullying Awareness and Prevention Week – November 21-27, 2021 – Ontario students, school staff and parents are encouraged to learn more about bullying and its effect on student learning and well-being.
On Wednesday, November 24, 2021 our students are encouraged to wear pink to show that St. Andrew School promotes peace and a school environment free of bullying.
Student Census 2022
The Student Census 2022 will be implemented February 28 and April 4, 2022 (inclusive).
All students will be invited to complete the Student Census on a voluntary basis, as follows:
- Kindergarten – Grade 8
To be completed by parents and guardians
Learn more here: Student Census 2022
If you are interested in attending, please email email@example.com to request a link to the meeting. ALL are welcome!
- Go to the St. Andrew scheduling webpage at https://standrew.parentinterview.com
- Enter the Parent Code (printed below) and click “Sign In”
Please make a note of your Confirmation #
- Fill in your contact information and click “Continue to Make Appointments”
- Click on the name of a teacher with whom you wish to schedule an appointment
- Click on “Available” for a time at which you wish to meet to have your meeting
- Repeat Steps 4 and 5 until you have scheduled all the teachers you wish to meet
- Click on “My Schedule” (top left of the page)
- Print out, email or copy down your schedule and bring it with you
The Parent Code for this term is
Do not share this code with anyone outside your school community