It is vital that when educating our children’s brains, we do not neglect to educate their HEARTS. ~ Dalai Lama
Keeping Our Community Safe
Please remember to do the following daily:
- monitor your children for symptoms of Covid-19 and keep them home from school when they do not feel well – for more information visit: My Child is Sick! When Can (S)He Return to School?
- complete the daily screening tool each day before sending your children to school: https://covid-19.ontario.ca/school-screening/
- wear a mask and ensure physical distancing when picking up or dropping off your children at school
- avoid play dates with children who are not in your child’s class
- if at all possible, avoid carpooling, especially with children in different classes
- please ensure that your child has extra masks to change during the day as needed. Due to the change in weather, we are finding that masks are getting damp and need be changed more frequently
- if you are using the Kiss N’ Ride in either our North or South parking lot, do not get out of your car; if you need to get out of your car, please use one of the designated parking spots so as not to impede the flow of traffic
Monday, November 23rd is the last day to book your 10-minute interview times for the evening of Thursday, November 26th or during the day on Friday, November 27th. Information on how to book using our new online system went home in an email. You can also find the information in last week’s update: https://elem.hcdsb.org/standrew/2020/11/weekly-update-november-16-2020/
Progress Report Cards for students in Grades 1 – 8 and the Initial Communication of Learning for children in Kindergarten, will be sent home electronically via email by our Board Office on Tuesday, November 24th. You will need your child’s OEN (Ontario Education Number) to access the report card. The OEN can be found on a previous report card.
PA Day Friday – No School
Please remember that there will be no school for students on Friday to facilitate time for interviews. We will look forward to seeing students back at school on Monday, November 30th.
Scholastic Book Fair
Let’s continue to give our students access to the books they want to read! We will be having a Virtual Scholastic Book Fair beginning November 23rd through until December 4th. Plan to participate in our Virtual Family Event on November 25th from 6-8 PM and December 2nd from 6-8 PM. Find out how your family can join the fun HERE.
Your investment in your reader also helps our whole school. All purchases earn Rewards that can be redeemed for books and Education Resources for our school’s classrooms and library.
When it’s time to shop, visit our school’s Virtual Book Fair site using this link: https://bookfairs-canada.myshopify.com/pages/5152299
Community Engagement Event – Holiday Baking Together Apart!
We are excited to tell you about a fun Christmas event taking place this year. We have partnered with Cooksmart to bring the St. Andrew Community together virtually through an online Holiday Baking Event!
Families can register online to join the event. Together, following the direction of our virtual host, Kathy Stewart, we will all bake gingerbread cookies from the comfort of our own homes! Kathy will provide us with an easy-to-find list of ingredients in advance of our baking day. Then, on December 13th, from 1:00-3:00 we will all bake together via Zoom!
This event is being funded by our School Council, there is no cost to join other than the price of the ingredients. Space is limited, so register right away!
To register your family: https://www.cooksmart.ca/upcoming-classes/standrews
For more information:
St. Vincent de Paul Angel Tree
Like last year, the major Christmas giving event for our school will be the Society of Saint Vincent de Paul (SSVP). The SSVP at Mary Mother of God serves 107 families and 151 children in need that live within our parish boundary.
This Christmas more than ever our most vulnerable neighbours are in need. Together we can make a big difference by sharing our Christmas to bring some joy into their homes. For many of these families your donation may be the only gift they receive.
We are asking the students and families to support these neighbours in two ways:
- Monetary Online Donation
- Canada Helps – https://www.canadahelps.org/en/charities/society-of-st-vincent-de-paul-mary-mother-of-god-parish/
- Monetary donations will all be used to bulk purchase gift cards from Wal-Mart for the families.
- Please add a special daily prayer of protection for all of the families SSVP serves:
Mary Mother of God, be their protector and defender. Bring their needs before our Father, and give them the grace to conquer every danger and overcome all that would threaten their health and well-being. Amen.
November 23rd to December 4th.Let’s continue to give our students access to the books they want to read! We are excited to provide this opportunity for families to shop together, from the comfort of home. Plan to participate in our Virtual Family Event on November 25th from 6-8pm and December 2nd from 6-8pm. Find out how your family can join the fun HERE. Your investment in your reader also helps our whole school. All purchases earn Rewards that can be redeemed for books and Education Resources for our school’s classrooms and library. When it’s time to shop, visit our school’s Virtual Book Fair site using this link:
- SAVE it to your browser
- WATCH videos of popular new titles
- PREVIEW our Featured Books