Dear Parents and Guardians,
Welcome back to another wonderful week at Sacred Heart of Jesus. God bless as we continue on our Lenten journey and continue to pray, fast and give alms.
Please refer to the information updates below:
The Next Opportunity to Request a Change in Learning Environment
As a reminder, the third and final opportunity for elementary parents and guardians to request a change in learning environment for their children will be offered between March 11th and March 18th. The link to the online form to request a change will be emailed to all elementary parents and guardians on March 11, 2021.
The requested changes will take effect on Monday, March 29th, and will remain in effect for the duration of this school year.
Hat Day in Support of United Way – Friday, March 12th
SHOJ is supporting the United Way on Friday by having a non-uniform hat day. Students are encouraged to bring in a $2 donation to United Way. Students may be out of uniform on this day if they are wearing a hat. Students not participating will be in full uniform.
HCDSB is reaching out to parents and guardians now to ask you to provide an early indication of your intentions for the 2021-2022 school year.
Specifically, they need to know if at this time you anticipate that in September 2021:
- attend school in-person, with enhanced health and safety protocols in place; OR
- Virtual Elementary School and participate in remote learning.
Click here for more information and to access the survey. This poll will remain open until 11:59 p.m. on Wednesday, March 10, 2021.
HCDSB Indigenous Land Acknowledgement
Earlier this year SHOJ students, organized by Mr. Nurse, collaborated with other schools in the Corpus Christi Family of Schools and Ms. Saevil, HCDSB Indigenous Education Advisor, in creating and filming a Land Acknowledgement. Schools across the board are able to use this Land Acknowledgement at the start of gatherings.
Click here for an introduction to the HCDSB Indigenous Land Acknowledgement and the version featuring Corpus Christi Family of Schools students, including SHOJ students. In coming Weekly Updates, we will link to English and French versions featuring only SHOJ students that will be used at our school.
St. Paul the Apostle Parish Update
During the season of Lent there are many additional services and events at the Parish. We look forward to seeing our community come together during this special time.
Click here for a list of Lenten services and upcoming special events.
COVID-19 School Screening Tool
Parents and guardians are reminded to complete theCOVID-19 School Screening Toolfor each child every day before leaving home for school or child care:https://covid-19.ontario.ca/school-screening/. The tool requires students and staff with any new or worsening symptoms of COVID-19, even those with only one (1) symptom, must stay home until:
- They receive a negative COVID-19 test result.; OR
- They receive an alternative diagnosis by a health care professional.; OR
- It has been 10 days since their symptom onset, and they are feeling better.
Self-Isolation Requirements for Families in a Household
The Ministry of Health has now indicated that all individuals living in the same household are now required to self-isolate when a family member has COVID-19 symptoms, even if the family member only has one (1) symptom.
The following isolation requirements now apply:
- All members in a household of a symptomatic individual are required to self-isolate until the individual:
- Receives a negative COVID-19 test result; OR
- Receives an alternative diagnosis by a health care professional.
- If someone in your household tests positive, or is not tested and does not receive an alternative diagnosis from a health care professional:
- This individual must isolate (including from others in your household) for 10 days from the date of experiencing symptoms. AND
- All members of the same household must isolate for 14 days from their last date of exposure with the symptomatic family/household member.
Ongoing SHOJ Fundraising Initiatives:
Click here for information on how to donate to SHOJ while purchasing gift cards to frequently visited businesses. Registering for FundScrip is an easy way to donate to SHOJ.
See below for March FundScrip promotions!
Cobs Bread School Donation Support
Cobs Bread customers who visit the Headon Forest location (Unit B18, 3450 Dundas St, Burlington) and indicate that they are with Sacred Heart of Jesus will have 10% of their order total donated to the school.