September 4, 2020
Dear Parents and Guardians,
Welcome back to school! We hope you and your family had a safe and wonderful summer!
This school year will be different in many respects, but we will all work together to ensure the health and well-being of our students, families and staff.
- Our school board is working very closely with Halton Region Public Health to ensure health and safety protocols are in place and followed so that our students and staff can enjoy a safe and healthy learning environment this year.
- Stopping the spread of COVID-19 is a community effort. Let’s continue to work together to ensure everyone can be safe and healthy in the classroom, at home, and in our community.
- The mental well-being of our students is as important as their physical health, and we will continue to build and strengthen mentally healthy classrooms, both in our schools and in our remote learning spaces.
- Please refer to the details in the HCDSB Return to School Plan
To keep you informed, we will continue to share information with parents through our school email system and website on a regular, weekly basis.
- Please be advised that effective Saturday, September 5, after 12:00pm, you will be able to access information about your child’s class placement. Details of this may be found on our school website
PLEASE DO NOT CONTACT THE SCHOOL TO REQUEST CHANGES TO CLASS PLACEMENTS DUE TO FRIENDSHIPS. WE ARE SURE YOU UNDERSTAND THE COMPLEXITIES OF MAKING CLASS LISTS EVEN DURING THE BEST OF TIMES.
We look forward to welcoming our students as per the HCDSB return to school gradual re-entry plan dates
- Grade 4-8 students: On their designated first day, they will already know their teacher’s name and room number, beginning at 8:55am they may enter the school directly on their own and teachers will be ready to meet them at their classroom door. AS PER HCDSB COVID PROTOCOLS PARENTS ARE NOT ALLOWED IN THE SCHOOL BUILDING.
- Grade 1-3 students: On their designated first day, they may meet their designated teacher on the school playground by 8:55 a.m. The teacher’s name and grade will be posted on the wall of the school to indicate the line-up location. Students will line up 2m apart from each other. All students and parents must maintain social distancing on the playground.
- All JK/SK students: There are scheduled JK parent/student and teacher/ECE interviews on September 9th and 10th. These will take place at your designated times outside in the kindergarten playground. Please ensure you and your child wear a mask and maintain social distancing from our staff. These interviews are only for students whose parents selected in-class learning and not remote learning.
- REMOTE LEARNING: for parents who selected this option, you will receive more information from the HCDSB next week. This begins on September 14th.
- BUSSING: The HCDSB informed parents that bussing for all students will not begin until September 14th. Parents are responsible for transporting their children to and from school prior to this date.
- Please keep in mind that our school is a scent sensitive environment where we have students and staff members with very severe allergies to any fragrances such as perfume, cologne, and scented hand/body lotions/sprays. Please do not wear this when visiting the school and please do not have your child wearing these products. We appreciate your support and cooperation in this regard!
- Student Daily Self-Assessment Screening: Please adhere to all guidelines in the HCDSB Return to School Plan and FAQ’s on the board website regarding student daily self-assessment protocols and guidelines we must follow for the immediate pick up of an ill child.
- School Bell Times: 9:10am-3:40pm
- We will have split recess times with students playing in their own cohort. Students will be taught the details around playing in their own “grid” on the school yard, line ups, moving through the school and social distancing.
- Recess #1 – gr. 1-3 and 4FI, Recess #2 Gr. 4-8
- Lunch Hour – remains from 12:05-1:05 (Group #1 eats for 30 minutes and goes out to play for 30 minutes, Group #2 vice versa)
- AS PER HCDSB COVID PROTOCOLS – PARENTS, VOLUNTEERS, VISITORS ARE NOT ALLOWED IN THE SCHOOL BUILDING UNLESS SPECIFICALLY INVITED FOR AN URGENT MATTER. If a parent comes to the school, they must use the pager at the front door to communicate with the secretary. This includes lunchtime. PARENTS WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ENTER THE SCHOOL TO DROP OFF LUNCH FOR THEIR CHILD. Please pack a lunch for your child to bring daily.
- Picking up my child early from school: Please page the secretary at the front door and wait there outside for your child.
- Daily Drop off procedures for gr. 1-8 beginning on September 14th: Beginning at 8:55 am, you may use the “Kiss and Ride” on the west parking lot. Each day, drop your child off at the curb and the students will have “free entry” where they may go directly into the building through the back doors and directly to their classroom. Teachers will be supervising. These are the same procedures we used last year for inclement days.
- Daily Pick up procedures beginning on September 14th: There will be normal dismissal out the back two doors. Parents must wait for their child outside the playground gates. Everyone is to maintain social distancing. Parents are encouraged to wear a mask while waiting for their child. Please arrange for a “meeting spot” so your child knows where to find you.
Once again, our staff at SHOJ look forward to collaborating with parents and having a great year together where students may flourish and learn in a healthy, safe and supportive, Catholic learning environment!
Best wishes and God bless!
J. Susi, Principal
D. Cochrane, Vice Principal