Dear Parents and Guardians,
Welcome to another week at Sacred Heart of Jesus. We are thankful for the opportunities to learn, grow and play together this week.
Please refer to the information updates below:
Labour Negotiations Update
Our school will be CLOSED to students on Tuesday, January 21, 2020 as a result of the recent announcement by OECTA of a province-wide, one-day full withdrawal of services.
Although classes will be cancelled on Tuesday, January 21st, our school office will remain open for Advanced Kindergarten Registration on January 21st.
Please note that there may be picket lines present at our school location, which may impact traffic flow and cause potential minor delays in our school parking lot.
Thank you for your patience and understanding during this time. For more information, please visit the Halton Catholic District School Board’s website: Labour Negotiations Update.
Salad Bar Rescheduled
If SHOJ is closed on Tuesday, Salad Bar will take place on Friday this week.
Advanced Registration for September 2020
Tuesday, January 21st & Wednesday, January 22nd, 2020
8:00 a.m. – 12.00 p.m. & 1:30 p.m. – 5:00 p.m.
**Although all HCDSB CLASSES will be CANCELLED for students on Tuesday, January 21st as a result of the announcement by OECTA of a province-wide one-day full withdrawal of services, school offices will remain open for Advanced Kindergarten Registration on January 21st.
Prior to these days, we encourage you to complete your application online using the link below. When completing, make sure to indicate that it is for the “2020-2021 School”. If you are unable to complete it online, Registration Forms will be available at the school on the day of.
In order to complete Part 2 of the registration process, you will then need to come to the school on January 21st, or January 22nd with all original documents as per the list below for verification purposes.
- Your child’s birth certificate – if born outside Canada, we require their passport (for stamp showing date of entry to Canada) and Permanent Resident (PR) card
- Your child’s Roman or Eastern Rite Catholic baptismal certificate. If your child has no Roman/Eastern Rite Catholic baptismal certificate, your child may be admitted if one parent can provide a Roman/Eastern Rite Catholic baptismal certificate.
- Proof of address such as: a piece of mail, your Tax Record or Offer to Purchase or Rent
ECO Angels Fundraising Initiative – Assisting Australian Wildlife
Our Eco Angels are beginning a campaign to raise money for the wildlife affected by the devastating wildfires in Australia. We are asking for each student to bring in a donation of a toonie. The ECO Angels will use the money raised to adopt koalas in our school’s name. The organization chosen is dedicated to the conservation and preservation of koalas. The Port Macquarie Koala Hospital cares for injured koalas, installs drinking stations in affected areas and is implementing breeding programs in the wild. Please see the link below for the website of the organization. Thank you for your support!
SHOJ Uniform Exchange
Thank you to our Catholic School Council Committee members, Vanessa Van Moorsel and Christine Ladwig, and our amazing parent volunteers for organizing and running a very successful uniform exchange last week. It was a great chance to “trade up” for our growing boys and girls!
Pasta Night Coming Soon. Orders due this Thursday!
Our Annual Pasta Night is coming up soon! The event is on Thursday February 6th in the school’s gymnasium. Doors open at 5:15 p.m. and dinner begins at 6:00 p.m.
The time is now to secure tickets via SchoolCashOnline for this wonderful event.
Orders are due by Thursday, January 23rd.
Our SHOJ Parent Council is currently looking for volunteers in the following areas:
- Thursday, January 30th – basket wrapping @ 9:30 a.m. – 11:00 a.m.
- Tuesday, February 4th – Thursday, February 6th from 12:05 p.m. – 1:05 p.m. for raffle ticket sales
- Thursday, Feb 6th – set up starting at 2:00 p.m., intermittent help throughout the night and for 8:00 p.m. clean up
Please email our Pasta Night Coordinator, firstname.lastname@example.org, with any availability you may have.
** Items for our Raffle Baskets can be sent into the school until Wednesday, January 29th**
Hope to see you there!
-SHOJ Pasta Night Committee
Click here for more information.
SHOJ Catholic School Council Meeting
Our next SHOJ Catholic School Council Meeting will be held on Thursday, January 23rd at 6:30 p.m. in our school library. All are welcome to attend.
SHOJ Art Gallery: February Theme
The SHOJ Art Gallery’s February art theme is LOVE! Students are asked to submit their love themed art to Mrs. Vukovic by Wednesday, February 5th!
Staff vs Students Volleyball Game & Jersey Day
Friday, January 24th will see our school senior volleyball team take on our SHOJ staff. This day is also a non-uniform jersey day. Students may wear their favourite sports team jersey or a jersey of their own on this day.
Mental Health Tip of the Month
Parent Tip: How to talk with your child when you fell concerned that they may be struggling with a mental health concern:
It can be challenging to talk about mental health. Sometimes parents, like others, avoid the conversation because they don’t know how to start, or they worry that they might put thoughts into their child’s head that had not been there, and will therefore, make things worse. Research tells us that this is not the case. Bringing up worries, concerns, changes in behavior etc. with your child will open the lines of communication rather than worsen the situation.
Here are some tips to help you talk to your child about mental health:
- Find a quiet time when you are unlikely to have interruptions to begin the conversation.
- Reassure your child that they can tell you anything and you will not get angry with them (even if you get scared).
- Start the conversation with describing changes you have noticed in their mood, behaviour, reactions etc. e.g., “I have noticed that you seem to be crying more.” If you have had conversations with your child’s teacher about concerns, include comments from the teacher’s observations.
- Share that you “wonder” about how your child might be feeling, what they might be thinking, what they might be worried about etc. e.g. “I wonder if you’re feeling sad about losing your friendship with Sam.”
- Allow your child time to reflect before they answer.
- Stay calm and don’t abandon the conversation if your child responds with “Nothing is wrong…. leave me alone”. If this happens, reassure your child that you are there for them. Give your child some time and then try again.
- If your child tells you anything that makes you worried (e.g., thoughts of suicide, overwhelming anxiety, self-injurious behavior like cutting) reassure your child that you are glad they told you and you will help them find the right professional to talk to, and you will be there for them throughout the journey.
Please see the School Mental Health Ontario website (https://smho-smso.ca/) for more information.
Notre Dame Catholic Secondary School – MARCH MADNESS BASKETBALL CAMP 2020
The March 16th – 20th Development Basketball Camp will focus on introducing players (Grades 1-8) to individual fundamentals and team concepts. The camp affords players an opportunity to work on their skills in both a non-competitive and competitive environment. Players will be shown a number of drills and participate in game situations. See the links below for more information and registration forms.
Sacred Heart of Jesus School is a scent-sensitive environment. We have students/staff who suffer significant adverse health effects from exposure to scented products. All staff, students and parent visitors are asked to please avoid wearing any scented products (i.e. perfumes, colognes, lotions and/or essential oils) when coming to the school and avoid bringing any scented products into the school.