Our Lady of Victory Catholic School, together with home, Church, and community encourages within each child a love of learning and a desire to do one’s best.
Our Lady of Victory Catholic Elementary School History
Our Lady of Victory Catholic School is a Junior Kindergarten through Grade 8 Catholic elementary school within the Halton Catholic District School Board.
The school, located at 540 Commercial Street in southwest Milton, first opened its doors to students in the fall of 1984 thanks to the support of Milton Board Trustees Angelo Tonelli and Neville Johnston (pictured above) and Halton Roman Catholic Separate School Board Chair Father James Mihm. Students who had previously attended Holy Rosary School now had a local neighbourhood school to call their own. The school was named after Our Lady of Victory Church on Tremaine Road in Milton Heights which opened in 1942 and was a satellite mission associated with St. John’s Parish in Burlington as early as 1925.
The official blessing and dedication of the school by Bishop Anthony Tonnos took place on November 5, 1984 at which time, a time capsule was buried. Students marked this special school day by releasing helium balloons with a greeting card attached announcing the grand opening (fact: the message reached as far as Renfrew, Ontario).
During the 2001-2002 school year, a number of cosmetic changes were made to the original “plant” or school building: a new kindergarten wing was added on the south side of the building; science, art, and computer labs were added; a cushioned surface was installed on the gym floor; a new main office/health room was designed; and building mechanical systems (heating and cooling) were updated and a new fire sprinkler system installed.
2009-2010 marked the school’s 25th anniversary. The time capsule buried on November 5, 1984 was opened 25 years to the day on November 5, 2009. A number of former staff and students were in attendance. A special Mass at Holy Rosary Church and a reunion celebration at the school took place on May 5, 2010 – the 5th day of the 5th month in the 25th year of the school’s existence!
OLV Original School Logo
Our Original School Crest 1984
Our school colours are blue, gold, and white. The blue is for Mary, gold for her queenship, and white for her purity. The official school crest for Our Lady of Victory School (shown on the left) was designed by Sister Bernadette Homerski CSJ. The crest incorporates an “A” for “Ave,” and “M” for “Maria,” which also form the crown of Holy Rosary Church. These are surrounded by a laurel wreath, symbolic of Mary’s victory over sin. Our prayer is that this crest will be a reminder to everyone at Our Lady of Victory School, to continue our devotion to Mary.
Excerpt from “Our Lady of Victory 1984-85 Yearbook” in its inaugural year.
OLV School Crest Revisited
While our school colours remain royal blue, gold and white, we now have an updated school logo. The new official school logo for Our Lady of Victory Catholic School (shown on the left) was commissioned by Principal Rich Lorito in the late 1990s and designed by Our Lady of Victory Catholic School Grade 8 teacher Jason Riley.
It incorporates the school colours and an abbreviated version of the school name in a 3-dimensional design in stylized Roman lettering, highlighting our existence as a school in a Roman Catholic School Board.
Spiritual Growth at Our Lady of Victory Catholic Elementary School
We work together in the development of the spiritual growth of our school community. This is accomplished through:
- Being Christ-like to one another in our interactions with students, parents/guardians and fellow staff members.
- Every aspect of the Curriculum being taught is done so the light of the Gospel.
- Celebration of Eucharist at our school masses.
- Ongoing Parish visits.
- Liturgies and prayer celebrations.
- Participation in the Sacrament of Reconciliation.
Home, school, and Parish are the triad that work diligently together to prepare students for the following Sacraments:
- First Reconciliation – Grade 2
- First Eucharist – Grade 2
- Confirmation – Grade 7
Sharing the Sacraments of Reconciliation and Holy Eucharist with your children at Mass on a regular basis, is a valuable part of a child’s faith development. We are blessed to benefit from the dynamic and apostolic relationship with the Pastoral Team at Holy Rosary Parish.
Holy Rosary Parish, Fr. Peter Meyer (Pastor)
139 Martin Street
Mass Times – Saturday 5:00 pm & Sunday 9:00 am & 11:00 am
Daily Masses – Tuesday to Friday at 8:00pm
Reconciliation – Saturday 3:30 to 4:30pm & Anytime by Appointment
Our School Patron, Mary – Mother of Victory
On October 7th, 1571, in what was one of the last sea battles between “oared” ships, in the Battle of Lepanto, Christian naval forces from Spain, Venice, and Genoa won a decisive victory over a mighty Turkish fleet.
Knowing that the Christina Armada was at a distinct disadvantage, the holy pontiff, Pope Pius V, called for all of Europe to pray the Rosary for victory. We know today that the victory was decisive. It is said that at the hour of victory, Pope Pius V, who was hundreds of miles away at the Vatican, rose from a meeting, moved to a window, and exclaimed with supernatural radiance: “The Christian fleet is victorious!” and then shed tears of thanksgiving to God. The Pope established the Feast of the Blessed Virgin Mother of Victory (“festem BMV de Victoria”) to commemorate this astounding victory which he attributed to Mary’s intercession. Over the years, the title of this feast has changed to “Feast of the Holy Rosary”.
Halton Catholic District School Board
The Halton Catholic District School Board traces its roots back to 1856, when Father Jeremiah Ryan founded St. Mary’s School – the first Catholic elementary school in Oakville to establish education programs for Catholic children in the town of Oakville. This was, in part, a response to a large influx of Catholic settlers in the Trafalgar area of Oakville.
The Oakville Separate School Board was formally established in 1856. Over the next 102 years, other school boards were established in Halton and by 1958, there were 4 municipal school boards: Burlington, Oakville, Georgetown, and Milton.
These amalgamated into the single regional structure called the Halton Roman Catholic Separate School Board, which officially emerged on January 1, 1969, as a result of provincial legislation that mandated the consolidation of school boards throughout Ontario.
In 1998, under the Ministry of Education’s restructuring of school boards province-wide, the Halton Roman Catholic Separate School Board became the Halton Catholic District School Board.
Our Board Mission Statement: “The Halton Catholic District School Board, in partnership with home and Church, is dedicated to providing excellence in Catholic education by developing Christ-centred individuals enabled to transform society.”
The Board logo incorporates a stylized H for Halton region and the Home, students surrounding a Cross/Church at centre from which the Holy Spirit emanates. The students are reaching up for academic excellence and out to transform the world around them. The Home, School, Parish partnership is bordered by a golden circle which protects this special alliance.
Halton Catholic District School Board – Our Catholic Schools:
Catholic Learning Environment
At Our Lady of Victory Catholic Elementary School we use language and conversation that reflects the Gospel values of mutual respect, care and value for the dignity of each person. We are dedicated to reading the Scripture, celebrating the Sacraments, praying and engaging in symbols and rituals of the Catholic Church.
We are a community committed to loving and serving as a people of faith in our community, and our society, and to living out the Gospel message through justice and charity. Love of God and our neighbour is the first and greatest commandment basic to our Christian faith.
Our Catholic School teaches the Ontario Ministry of Education curriculum with a difference – grounded in the Religion and Family Life education programs. Our goal at Our Lady of Victory is to help our students look at their world through a Catholic lens as they become critical Catholic learners.
Catholic School Staff Members
Staff at Our Lady of Victory Catholic Elementary School share a common focus on faith while considering and treating each child as a unique gift from God with individual talents and abilities. We teach our students to respect the rights and dignity of all people in a caring community.About Our School