Highlights for this week…
Up-dated School Screening Tool
The Ministry has released the updated COVID-19 School Screening Tool, which follows the latest public health guidance. Please continue to monitor for symptoms, and use this tool to determine next steps: www.Ontario.ca/SchoolScreening.
Request to Change Your Child’s Learning Environment
The online form to request a change to your child’s learning environment in elementary school (i.e. virtual or in-person) is now open.
As per Ministry of Education direction, we have moved to remote learning for all students until at least January 17, 2022.
NOTE: Any requested changes will come into effect on January 24, 2022, however, if the Ministry of Education extends the remote learning period, the requested changes will come into effect once schools re-open for in-class instruction.
The Return to School Plan 2021-2022 indicated only one opportunity to request a change to the learning environment for elementary students (i.e. virtual learning to in-person learning or vice versa). The original timelines would have seen the requested changes come into effect as of Tuesday, February 22, 2022, and would have remained in effect until the end of the school year (June 2022).
Given the Province’s temporary move to Step 2 of the Roadmap to Reopening in order to help slow the spread of the COVID-19 Omicron variant, we have revised our plan to provide greater flexibility for families. We will now offer two (2) opportunities for families to request a change to learning environment for elementary students.
1. The first opportunity to request a change in learning environment for elementary students is now available. The online request form will be open from Wednesday, January 5th until 11:59 p.m. on Friday, January 14th.
The requested changes will come into effect on Monday, January 24, 2022, or once schools re-open for in-class instruction if the period of remote learning is extended.
Important Notes for Families Requesting a Change to the Virtual School:
- If schools resume in-person instruction on January 17th, families who wish to keep their children home until the switch occurs on January 24th will be able to access asynchronous resources for their children through their current class on the D2L platform during the week of January 17-21.
- Parents/guardians requesting a change for their children to the virtual elementary school (St. Clare of Assisi Catholic Elementary Virtual School) will be asked to choose whether they want to keep their children enrolled in virtual learning until Easter OR until the end of the school year.
2. The final opportunity to request a change in learning environment for elementary students will be released after March Break. The requested changes will come into effect after Easter on Tuesday, April 19th.
Request to Change Learning Environment
If you wish to change your child’s learning environment by switching from in-class instruction to the virtual school, or vice versa, please complete the online request form below. Please complete this form ONLY if you would like to make a change to the learning environment that your child was in prior to the Christmas break. If you want your child to remain in the same learning format they were in before the break, no further action is required.
Important notes before you complete the online form:
- Please submit a separate form for each child.
- You will need your child’s Ontario Education Number (OEN) to submit this request. The OEN can be found on a recent report card.
- This online request form applies to elementary students ONLY. Requests for changes in the learning environment at the secondary school level should be sent directly to your child’s secondary school.
This online form will remain open until 11:59 p.m. on Friday, January 14, 2022.
Please direct any technical questions regarding this form to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- التغيير في بيئة التعلم لطلبة الدراسة الابتدائية – استمارة التقديم متاحة الآن!
- Cambio en el entorno de aprendizaje para estudiantes de primaria – ¡Formulario de solicitud ya abierto!
- 제목: 초등학생 수업 환경 변경 – 신청서 활성화!
Once the online form has closed, our staff will begin to work through the rescheduling process.
- Parents and guardians will receive confirmation of the changes to their children’s learning environment by Wednesday, January 19th.
- The changes to your child’s learning environment will come into effect as of Monday, January 24, 2022, or once in-school instruction resumes, if it extends beyond January 24th.
- If in-class instruction resumes on January 17th, your child’s current placement (in-class or virtual) will continue to be in place for the week of January 17-21. Asynchronous instruction will be posted for students, should parents/guardians decide to keep their children home while awaiting the switch to the virtual school.
About the HCDSB Virtual Elementary School – St. Clare of Assisi Catholic Elementary School
- Read the Parent Handbook to gain a better understanding of the learning model offered at St. Clare of Assisi Catholic Elementary Virtual School.
A Note to Parents with Children in Secondary School
If you also have one or more children registered to attend an HCDSB secondary school, please note that students may move to remote learning at any point throughout the school year. Requests to return to in-class instruction may be made through your School Principal at the start of a new quadmester.