On Saturday, September 5 at 12 noon, parents will be able to access the class placement for student(s)’ using the OEN number located on the top right corner of the Report card. Go to the Board’s website to enter your student(s)’ OEN number. Look on the right hand sidebar of the website for the link to obtain class placements.
Gradual Return to School for Elementary Students
As you know, the first day of instruction for students (originally planned for Tuesday, September 8, 2020) has been delayed until Wednesday, September 9, 2020.
We will transition into the new school year by bringing Grade 1-8 students back to school in smaller groups on September 9, 10 and 11th.
All Grade 1-8 students will be in school beginning Monday, September 14th. Remote learning will also begin for students learning from home on Monday, September 14th.
A gradual return to school for our elementary students will help alleviate some of the anxiety in students by providing a calm environment to help students learn the new health and safety routines at school and practice our entry and dismissal procedures in smaller groups.
The following schedule will apply to Grade 1-8 students:
|Wednesday, September 9th||Only students in Grades 1-8 with surnames beginning with the letters A-F will come to school|
|Thursday, September 10th||Only students in Grades 1-8 with surnames beginning with the letters G- N will come to school|
|Friday, September 11th||Only students in Grades 1-8 with surnames beginning with the letters O-Z will come to school|
|Monday, September 14th||ALL students in Grades 1-8 attending in-class instruction will come to school. Remote learning will begin for students learning from home.|
For more information, please visit our Return to School Website here: https://learnathome.hcdsb.org/2020/08/28/start-of-school-delay-and-gradual-return-to-school/
Drop-off and Pick-up
As we prepare to welcome students back to school next week, we wanted to review the drop-off and pick-up protocols that will be in place to help minimize contacts and prevent the spread of COVID-19 in our school community.
- Only one parent or guardian will be permitted on school property to drop off and pick up children.
- Parents and guardians will remain outside and will not be permitted to enter the school (unless there is an extenuating need, and prior approval has been obtained as per the Visitor Protocol).
- We have established designated entry and exit doors for your child’s class (cohort).
- Signage will be in place to help you identify the drop-off/pick-up location for your child(ren).
- Students will line up to enter our school, and we will be implementing a staggered entry into school to limit the number of students in our hallways at one time.
- Kindergarten students will enter the school immediately upon arrival in the morning.
- Parents and caregivers are asked to leave the school property as soon as they drop off their child(ren). No gathering or congregating will be allowed on school property.
- Parents and caregivers are encouraged to use the ‘Kiss and Ride’ as students become more comfortable and familiar with the new routine.
Use of Masks and Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
The use of personal protective equipment (PPE) is one of the measures we will have in place in our schools to help prevent the spread of COVID-19.
PPE is protective clothing or equipment designed to protect the wearer’s body from injury or infection. PPE can include gloves, masks, face shields, gowns, safety shoes etc.
Wearing of Masks at School
- Medical masks will be worn by all teachers and other school staff.
- All HCDSB students (K- 12) are required to wear non-medical masks/ face coverings at school. Reasonable exceptions to this requirement will be put in place (see below Exemptions for Mask Wearing).
Exemptions for Wearing Masks
Reasonable exceptions to mask wearing will be considered.
An exemption may be requested for a student in Grades K-12 for the following reasons:
- A pre-existing medical condition.
- A diagnosis or learning profile that would limit a student’s ability to tolerate or safely wear a mask, including whereby a mask would affect essential communication for a person who is hearing impaired.
- Other, as detailed by a healthcare practitioner.
If any of the above conditions apply to your son or daughter, please contact our School Office.
Lunches for Elementary Students
For the health and safety of our students and school community, it is strongly recommended that all elementary students remain at school for the full duration of their lunch periods.
As we limit visitors to our school throughout the day, lunch drop offs will not be permitted during the school day.
Parents and guardians are asked to provide their child(ren) with lunch in the morning before students enter the school building.
Considerations for Lunch Prep:
- Lunches should be prepared as individual meals and snacks.
- Sharing food items will not be permitted.
- Reusable water bottles are encouraged.
Thank you for your understanding as we limit the number of visits and contacts to our school community to protect the health and safety of our students and staff.
Students and staff will be able to bring reusable water bottles and refill them at designated refill stations in our school. For the health and safety of our students and school community, the use of water fountains for drinking will not be permitted.
Water Fountains and Reusable Water Bottles:
- Each student is required to bring their own drinking bottle to school that is labeled, kept with them during the day, and not shared with other students.
- All water fountains will be wrapped and/or made inoperable.
- Although bottle filling stations will be in use, students and staff are not advised to touch any filling station apparatus.
What happens if your child feels unwell at school?
It is important for your son or daughter to let their teacher know if they are feeling unwell at school.
Students who show signs/symptoms of COVID-19 during the school day will be taken to our school’s ‘isolation room’ and we will contact the parent or guardian to come and pick them up.
It is very important that we have current contact information for all of our families so that we can get in touch with you quickly. Please contact our school office if there have been any recent changes to your contact information.
This school year, in an effort to minimize contacts and help prevent the potential spread of COVID-19, we are limiting visitor access to our school.
All visitors, including parents and HCDSB staff who are not assigned to our school, will require approval and pre-screening before entering our building. Only visits that are deemed absolutely essential will be approved – e.g. visits by the Fire Marshal’s office or by public health. Where possible, meetings or visits will be conducted virtually.
Visitors who are granted approval will be required to complete an online screening form prior to arriving at our school. Once inside, all visitors will be required to wear masks.
We appreciate your patience and understanding as we do all we can to ensure a safe and healthy return to school for all.
Check back regularly
Please check the school website, Twitter and School Messenger regularly as updates will be posted as we prepare for a safe and healthy September Reopening.