Never miss an important date. You can subscribe to our School Calendar. Click here for instructions.
- We will celebrate Halloween at OLP today! Students will need to wear their regular cloth masks to school and may not wear costume masks either as a substitute or in addition to their cloth masks.
- Students will be able to wear costumes that are:
- easy to move in as they will wear their costumes all day including outside for recess.
- have no weapons or toy weapons
- not overly scary or gory (appropriate for all students)
- respectful of all cultural heritages
- When choosing a Halloween costume with your child, you may find it helpful to consider and discuss the following questions:
- Is my costume making fun of or is it offensive towards a group of people, their culture or religion?
- Does my costume reinforce jokes and stereotypes about certain groups, cultures, or religions?
- Am I altering my skin colour, facial, or body features to make them darker or like a particular race, ethnicity, or cultural group?
- Am I dressing up as a culture or borrowing from a religtion that is not my own or is not part of my background?
- Do I understand and respect the history or tradition of the culture that I am borrowing my costume from?
Our students in Grades 4-8 will receive a live virtual presentation about the following:
- Creating Inclusive Environment
- Combating Discrimination and Racism
- Appreciating Diversity
- Learning about Social Justice
- Creating a Socially Responsible Classroom
We will also have access to a 10 part video series for our students in Kindergarten to Grade 3:
- Creating a Friendly, Kind, and Helpful Classroom
- Amplifying the Importance of Learning
- Developing Well-Being
- Building a Socially Responsible Classroom
- Discussing Diversity and Inclusion
For more information about the Saidat Show, please see the link here: http://www.saidat.ca/schools/