Daily School Screening
- Thank you for your continued diligence in completing the COVID-19 school screening for each child every day. Completing the screening, wearing masks, maintaining proper hand hygiene, distancing, and staying home when sick are all ways we can help to keep the children in our care and our community safe.
- Please note that the Ministry of Education screening tool states: Anyone who is sick or has any symptoms of illness, including those not listed in this screening tool, should stay home and seek assessment from their health care provider if needed. We know that this can be challenging when you need to arrange child care, but we appreciate your keeping your children home if they are ill.
Rapid Antigen Tests for In-Person Learners
- During the week of Monday, December 13th to Friday, December 17th your child will be taking home a Rapid Antigen Screening Kit for voluntary use over the Christmas holiday.
- The rapid antigen screening kits have been provided by the Government of Ontario for every student who attends in-person learning at a publicly funded school. These kits may be used by any student, regardless of their vaccination status; however, they should only be used when a child is asymptomatic (does not have any symptoms of COVID-19) and has not had any exposure to a confirmed case of COVID-19.
- Please note, your child’s participation in this rapid antigen screening is voluntary and is not a required action for return to school after the Christmas break.
- Thank you for your ongoing support as we work closely with the Ministry of Education and Halton Public Health to help keep our community safe and healthy for all.
Picture Retake Order Due Tuesday
- If your child had his or her picture retaken, please make sure you return the order and payment to the school or order online by Tuesday.
Celebrating Advent – Dove Tree
- We would ask that all gift cards for our Dove Tree be returned to the school on Tuesday, December 14, and Wednesday, December 15. Please remember that we can only accept physical gift cards, and you are welcome to purchase the gift card from any appropriate retailer.
- Please view the resources available from the Diocese of Hamilton for ways you can celebrate Advent as a family: https://hamiltondiocese.com/advent2021/
- We will be celebrating Joy Week as a school next week! While individual classes have been planning activities, we will enjoy some theme days as a whole school. Please note that participation is voluntary, and we hope that the themes are easy and fun for your child:
- Monday – wear Christmas socks or tights with your uniform
- Tuesday – wear a Christmas hat with your uniform
- Wednesday – wear red and green (no uniform)
- Thursday – wear a Christmas sweater (no uniform)
- Friday – wear your favourite Christmas outfit (no uniform)
- The school is also purchasing an individually wrapped, peanut-free cookie from Terracotta Cookies for each student that we will share either Wednesday or Thursday depending on the delivery time. Please let your child’s teacher know if he or she can’t have the treat and we will work with you to find an alternative.
Gifts and Treats
- Please remember that students are not allowed to share food at any time to protect those in our school community with life-threatening allergies, and this includes special occasions like Christmas. Food treats sent to school will not be distributed and will be sent home with your child. While providing treats is not necessary, if you would like to have your child share an individual, non-edible treat with other students in the class, you are welcome to send them to school with your child.
- While staff members appreciate your thoughtfulness, please know that they do not expect gifts. You may wish to consider making a donation in their name to the Halton Catholic Children’s Foundation or to Food4Kids, as these organizations support our students throughout the year.
Pizza Lunches Returning to OLP!
- SchoolCashOnline is open for families to book their orders for pizza lunches!
- Pizza will be served on Wednesdays this year, and the first week will be January 12, 2022. You will have an option to renew your order after the first six weeks, but no changes may be made once SchoolCashOnline closes on January 4, 2022. If you have difficulty ordering through SchoolCashOnline, please let Mrs. Lupton or Mrs. Clasper know, and they will be happy to assist you.
- Information about prices and choices is available on SchoolCashOnline.
- Stay tuned for more information about the return of the LunchBox program in the new year too!
Registration for Extended French Program Closes Friday
- Registration for the Extended French Program for students entering Grade 5 in September 2022 will be open until Friday, December 17. For more information about the program, please see our school website here, or contact Mrs. Dore-Anderson with any questions.
Early Dismissal Friday
- School will finish at 1:45 pm on Friday. Please remember that your child will be here over the lunch hour and so will need something to eat. All buses will adjust their schedules to this dismissal time as well.
Human Rights and Equity Advisory Council – Call for Applicants
- Our HCDSB schools are committed to creating safe, inclusive and welcoming learning environments that support student achievement and well-being in our Catholic schools. Human Rights and Equity are guiding values that are consistent both with Catholic Social Teaching, reaffirming the dignity of every individual, as well as the Ontario Human Rights Code, which safeguards students and staff from discrimination based on the protected grounds.
- The Board’s Equity and Inclusive Education Steering Committee is in the process of forming a Human Rights and Equity Advisory Council (HREAC) to engage community stakeholders including parents, students and community organizations.
- The purpose of the HREAC is to assist in identifying community needs and to provide advice and guidance on addressing systemic barriers and supporting historically underserved members of the 2SLGBTQ+, racialized and Black communities in the HCDSB.
- Parents/guardians and students in Grades 7-12 interested in serving on the HREAC are invited to submit an application online through the HREAC Membership Application Form by December 31st.
- We know that families may be eager to travel and visit family. While we certainly understand, please note that you will need to complete an Extended Absence Form (available from the office) and that any absence longer than 15 consecutive days may result in your child being demitted from our register and having to re-enroll upon your return.
- Families should also consider any quarantine requirements when planning for their children to be absent from school.
- While educators are happy to help support student learning, please note that they are not required to provide your child with work for the length of the absence.
Dec 14 all day
Dec 14 all day
Dec 14 @ 9:00 am – 2:30 pm
Dec 17 all day
Dec 17 all day
Dec 17 @ 1:45 pm