Welcome Back – and Thank You!
- We had a great first week back at OLP, and we appreciate all of the preparation and practice you did with your children at home to help them get ready. We are so proud of how quickly everyone adjusted to our routines and procedures. We couldn’t do it without you!
- We appreciate your support in completing the dailly COVID-19 screening and sharing the results with us. Please continue this practice every day!
- The board has supplied each child with a mask. Classroom educators have distributed them today for Grades 1-8 and will do so on Monday for Kindergarten. The mask may be in your child’s backpack or in his or her desk at school. If you have any questions about it, please ask your child’s educator.
- We would like to welcome some new staff members to OLP. We are happy that Ms. Carrabetta (Grade 6 and 7 Extended French – English), Mrs. Desousa-Brownridge (Kindergarten), Ms. Indellicato (Primary Team Teacher), Mrs. MacDonald (Special Education Resource Teacher), and Ms. Scowen (Grade 4) are joining our school community. We would also like to welcome back Mr. Curto (Teacher of the Arts) and Mrs. Natale (Kindergarten) to OLP. We hope that you will introduce yourselves and say hello when you get a chance!
Student Information and Consent Forms Due Monday
- Please return the Health and Phys Ed forms, email forms (new JK-Gr 3 only), and any medical forms to school, and complete the information and consent forms online here: https://laserfiche.hcdsb.org/Forms/parent_consents by the end of the day on Monday, September 13.
Catholic School Council 2021-2022 Nominations Due Friday
- Our Catholic School Council is established for the purposes of developing, encouraging, and promoting activities which will enhance the quality of school programs and improve levels of student achievement. The Catholic School Council provides insight to the Principal, and where appropriate to the School Board, on issues outlined by the Ministry of Education and Training. You are invited to please consider a candidacy for the position of Parent Representative. In accordance with Ministry Regulations 612/613, the following timelines will be followed regarding Council elections:
- Friday, September 17, 2021: We invite you to consider nominating yourself or another parent candidate by submitting the nomination form to the Principal by 4 pm. Nomination forms are available from the office or on our school website at the bottom of this post. If you prefer to complete a paper copy of the form, you may come to the school office between 8 am and 4 pm this week. A member of our office staff will bring it outside to you where you may complete and return it.
- Monday, September 20, 2021: If an election is necessary, names of candidates and a one-page information sheet, if available, will be posted on the front doors of the school and on our school website.
- Friday, September 24, 2021: Catholic School Council elections will take place if needed. Elections will be held online, and parents and guardians will be asked to verify their vote with the email they have on file at the school. If necessary, a paper option will also be made available. More information about the election and the process will be shared once we know if it will be necessary.
- Monday, September 27, 2021: The names of the Catholic School Council members will be announced via posting on the front doors of the school and on our website.
- Monday, October 4, 2021: We will have our first Catholic School Council meeting of the 2021-2022 school year virtually.
Returning School Resources
- With our return to school you may have found some overlooked textbooks, library books, or technology that belong to the school. Please return anything that belongs to OLP as soon as possible as other students will benefit from those resources.
Grade 8 Confirmation
- Families of Grade 8 students who will be receiving the Sarcrament of Confirmation on September 25 should have received an email this week confirming whether they will be attending the noon or the 1:30 pm liturgy. If you believe that your child is eligible and you did not receive the email, please contact your child’s teacher.
- For any questions about the liturgy itself, please contact Cristian Lecanda at St. Michael’s at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- We look forward to celebrating this special day with you soon!
Student Safety at Entry and Dismissal
- While we know that you want to ensure that your children enter and leave school safely, please remember that we need to avoid congregating. Please leave school property immediately after dropping off and picking up your child.
- Students who arrive in the morning between 8:30 and 8:45 should go to their lines as soon as they come to school. (For the safety of your child, we request that students do not arrive on school grounds before 8:30 am). When students arrive they can choose a “dot” in their line to stand on. This procedure will allow students to socialize safely while maintaining distance from one another.
- Dogs should not be on school property unless they are service dogs. If you would like to bring your dog to pick up your child, please stay off the school yard somewhere your child and the teacher can see you and have your child meet you there.
- We have several students who will be riding the school bus this year, and we will be lining up on the walk in front of the school at dismissal to help them board the buses safely. We would ask you to please stay off the walk directly in the front of the school during that time.
Parking Lot Safety
Student safety when coming to school and going back home is very important to us!
A reminder of the following safety tips and school regulations:
- Encourage your children to use crosswalks and walkways.
- Do not use the driveway in front of the school during the morning arrival or after school dismissal. It is reserved for buses or after school program pick ups.
- If you must drive your child to school, please follow the traffic flow rules in place at the east and west sides of the school. Stop or park only in designated spaces and not in the kiss and ride on the west (Kindergarten) side of the school or along the fence on the east side of the parking lot.
- All students in the school are dismissed at the end of the day through the back doors. Kindergarten students use their own exits. Please give staff space to have the students exit the school in an orderly fashion.
- If you drive to or from the school, please remember: be patient and courteous; do not block the main road thoroughfares; drive slowly and be vigilant for pedestrians/children.
Please note that the creative playground in the Kindergarten yard is only for the use of our Kindergarten students and should not be used by any other students before or after school.
Fair Notice – Duty to Report and Attendance
- Every year we remind our families of our professional duty to report any child we believe to be in need of protection to the Halton Children’s Aid Society. As well, we also remind our families of their responsiblity to ensure regular attendance at school. Please review both of the attached letters, and speak to a staff member if you have any questions or concerns.
Option to Purchase Student Accident Insurance
- While the Halton Catholic District School Board does not provide student accident insurance, families may wish to review the attached offer about purchasing student accident insurance.
Please return the Health and Phys Ed forms, email forms (new JK -Gr 3 only), and any medical forms to school, and complete the information and consent forms online here: https://laserfiche.hcdsb.org/Forms/parent_consents
This virtual family paint night is being hosted in recognition of Orange Shirt Day. For more information, please see the board website here: https://www.hcdsb.org/2021/09/family-paint-night-in-recognition-of-orange-shirt-day/
- Please mark Tuesday, September 28 from 6 – 7 pm in your calendars to participate in our virtual open house!
- Join our community in prayer and view a presentation about some of the changes inside and outside of the school building this year, then meet your children’s educators and view individual presentations to find out more about what the learning in your child’s classroom will look like. This is a wonderful opportunity to ask questions, and to share your hopes for your children this year.
- The introductory session will be conducted through Teams, and the link will be shared through email at 5:30 pm on the day of the open house. Educators will provide more information about how to access their presentations on their digital platforms next week.
- We are looking forward to seeing you then!