Class Placement for All Gr 1-8 Students
- On Saturday, September 5, 2020, at 12 noon, you will be able to access information about your child’s class placement. This information will be available on the Board’s website at: www.hcdsb.org. On the Home page, please click on the “Schools” tab and then on the “School Listing” tab in the drop-down menu. You will be directed to the school listing page. Once you have arrived on this page, please click on “Class Placements”, beside the appropriate Elementary school name.
- PLEASE NOTE: In order to access this information, you will require your child’s Ontario Education Number (OEN), which can be found on his/her report card.
Gradual Return to School for Elementary Students
As you know, the first day of instruction for students (originally planned for Tuesday, September 8, 2020) has been delayed until Wednesday, September 9, 2020.
We will transition into the new school year by bringing Grade 1-8 students back to school in smaller groups on September 9, 10 and 11th.
All Grade 1-8 students will be in school beginning Monday, September 14th. Remote learning will also begin for students learning from home on Monday, September 14th.
A gradual return to school for our elementary students will help alleviate some of the anxiety in students by providing a calm environment to help students learn the new health and safety routines at school and practice our entry and dismissal procedures in smaller groups.
The following schedule will apply to students in Grades K-8:
|Wednesday, September 9th||Only students in Grades 1-8 with surnames beginning with the letters A-F will come to school|
|Thursday, September 10th||Only students in Grades 1-8 with surnames beginning with the letters G- N will come to school AND Year 2 Kindergarten Students attend school|
|Friday, September 11th||Only students in Grades 1-8 with surnames beginning with the letters O-Z will come to school AND Year 1 Kindergarten Students – Last Names A-M ONLY Year 2 Kindergarten Students attend school|
|Monday, September 14th||ALL students in Grades 1-8 attending in-class instruction will come to school. Remote learning will begin for students learning from home. AND Year 1 Kindergarten Students – Last Names N-Z ONLY Year 2 Kindergarten Students|
|Tuesday, September 15th||All students in Kindergarten – Grade 8 attend school|
For more information, please visit our school board’s Return to School Website here: https://learnathome.hcdsb.org/2020/08/28/start-of-school-delay-and-gradual-return-to-school/
Drop-off and Pick-up
We wanted to review the drop-off and pick-up protocols that will be in place to help minimize contacts and prevent the spread of COVID-19 in our school community for the first few days of school and the start of the school year:
- Only one parent or guardian will be permitted on school property to drop off and pick up children. We would encourage you to wear a mask to set a good example for our students and protect yourself and others.
- Parents and guardians will remain outside and will not be permitted to enter the school (unless there is an extenuating need, and prior approval has been obtained as per the Visitor Protocol).
- From Wednesday, September 9 until Friday, September 11, students in Grades 2-8 will enter the building from the back of the building without lining up as they would usually do during inclement weather (Door 5 – Gr 2-4 & Door 9 – Gr 5-8). Staff will be available to greet them at the doors and direct them to their classrooms from 8:30 onwards.
- Students in Grade 1 will meet their teachers at the entrances to the gym at the back of the school to allow them to meet their teachers. Class 1A will be at the east door and Class 1B will be at the west door. Again, no parents may enter the building.
- Kindergarten students will enter the school immediately upon arrival in the morning using the entrance from the school playground on the West side of the building.
- Parents and caregivers are asked to leave the school property as soon as they drop off their child(ren). No gathering or congregating will be allowed on school property.
- We will be practicing lining up and entering the building safely, and we will review exit procedures for students as well.