We have approximately 750 students at Our Lady of Fatima and heavy traffic close to the bell time is inevitable if people choose to drive their children to school. We are asking for your assistance in ensuring the safety of our students, staff and families in the parking lots. As we are a walking school, we do encourage families to walk or ride to school as part of their daily routines. Walking or riding has many benefits, including a healthier lifestyle, quality family time, safer ways of travelling and eco-friendly.
If you do need to drive, please see attached a visual of the rules of our parking lot: Our Lady of Fatima Parking Lot – visual
Lines clearly indicate Kiss and Ride/Drop off Zones and Thru Lanes. Everyone is busy in the morning and afternoon with places to get to. Blocking the thru lane ties up traffic and makes others late for work and wherever else they need to be. More importantly, it creates a safety issue for our school community. I’m sure we can all agree that safety is more important than convenience.
For those who Walk to School, please make sure to Always use the sidewalks to enter or exit off school property. Please avoid walking across the parking lot. For a visual representation of our rules: OLF – safe walking route
If at any time you feel that someone is compromising the safety of students, there is an online reporting system that can be found at https://www.haltonpolice.ca/ Go to “Services” then, “Report Traffic Complaint.”
If you are able we are asking you to please park on the nearby streets and walk to the drop-off/pick-up areas.
- Please use the entire Kiss and Ride area. Many want to pull up in the first 5 metres of the Kiss and Ride zone. There is more room further up in which to pull over.
- Please do not double park as it cuts off the thru lane and creates gridlock.
- Never park on the sidewalk.
- Please make a right hand turn coming out of the kindergarten lot so others do not have to wait behind you.
- Please consider parking on a side street or farther east on Bolingbroke by the park and walking your child to the gates.
- Please be courteous to staff who are trying to ensure the safety of the children.
- Please consider dropping your child/children off earlier. There is far less traffic closer to 8:05 than 8:20.
- Please allow our staff the space to cross our children safely.
School staff cannot be assigned to traffic enforcement. Staff are educators and have no expertise or authority over traffic matters. We are currently able to provide staff for kiss and ride areas for students and to assist students crossing driveways. Staff are not responsible for adults.
We are respectfully asking that you assist us with these requests. If we can all work together, the parking situation can run more efficiently. For the safety of students, parents and staff, we need your co-operation and understanding.
IDLE Free Zone
Please note that OLF is an Idle Free zone. By reducing idling, diminishes the impacts of climate change. Idiling can make smog worse, affecting our air quality and our health. For the safety and health of our students, please use our parking spots and/or turn off your engine if you will be stopping for more than 60 seconds.
For more information idle free zone information